Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by xtago
mike-bronner wrote:
xtago wrote:If you select a segment and it is connected to a junction point then you'll see red or green arrows, if you don't get the arrows then the segment isn't connected to a junction point.
Hi xtago,

I don't think you're understanding the point wine4sure was getting at: unterminated segments. These are most often dead-end streets that don't have a termination junction at the end, caused most often by inexperienced editors (I've done it in the past, until I found out, as well). The junction needs to be at the end so the client can handle navigation properly, if I understand it correctly.

~Mike
I see.

The dead end roads I've done haven't needed a junction at the dead end and still worked with navigation, you will need the dead end as a 2 way street.

The street numbering will allow for a better navigation end point as it'll have a better referance point to use along the segment.

though, if you did want a Junction on the dead end, you would just lay a very small brand new road from or to the dead end side not connected to anything else.

which makes a new junction at the dead end then delete the new road segment and the junction will stay on the dead end side.

Then save the edits made and all done.

Very quick and simple to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
xtago
Send a message

Post by xtago
wine4sure wrote:Dead ends need to be terminated in a node otherwise if you start a journey on them you get "proceed to highlighted route". Not sure what happens if you attempt to navigate to an unterminated dead end.

If you just create a new dead end it will not be terminated in a node. As has been said many people do this (myself included, I just found one yesterday that I created a long time ago). I found an entire city (Bath) like this.
I don't see a problem with that myself, you have to go to the intersection anyway, I don't see what the point is of trying top start the navigation half way through the segment of a dead end road when you need top head towards the junction anyway.

Also you do know that if you move the end of a segment that has a junction the editor automatically removes the junction, you can only keep the junction if you move the junction itself.

xtago
Send a message

Post by xtago
invented wrote:I'm just finding it much more work to do the same thing as the old WME. I have to scroll down now to hit the 'Select All Segments', I have to click/cancel the dropdown lists constantly (can't tab anymore!)... it just seems slower.
Yes its slower, than old editor, but i do prefer this editor over the old one.

xtago
Send a message

Post by xtago
Mike-1323 wrote:
fotrik wrote:OK, maybe I missed something but still don't see why it's a bug of the browser and not the editor.
I'm not an expert on cross-platform coding, but it may be that FF is not implementing something in a standard way. Meaning that code could be written to a cross-platform standard and work correctly on two or three browsers and fail on FF because of the way FF implements the code. I'm not saying that is whats happening, but that's a scenario that makes the behavior a browser bug (or feature depending on your point of view). That scenario is why IE is somewhat off on its own for website compatibility, it's been very poor (non-standard) at implementing standards.

The horizontal segment issue has been around long enough that there should be a workaround in place, especially with the release of the new version of the editor. So I guess either they can't figure out why the behavior is the way it is or can't figure out how to correct it.

The waze editor doesn't work on firefox at all, for it to be able to used on firefox you need to install a chrome overlay that allows chrome addons to work in firefox.

You'll find it's the overlay that doesn't work with all the waze functions and nothing to do with firefox itself, also you have the problem of Firefox being upgraded all the time and addons/extras/overlays will be broken until updated, The beta is worse though it's generally on a 2-3 week turn around for versions.

The above could be the reason why Waze doesn't code the editor for Firefox, beside Chrome and Safari maybe using the same programming language for browser addons.
xtago
Send a message

Post by xtago
Feedback on the editor.

Seems to work pretty good overall.

Would like to see a settings page so you could change default settings in the editor on roads, like set new streets as one way or 2way by default or making new roads all 2 way to start off.

Maybe allow the snap setting to be changed as sometimes it doesn't snap if your zoomed too far out or have a road pin too close to a node/junction.

Maybe go back to the last editor drop lists so you don't have to click on apply to properly apply a name change and remove the enter key being a left mouse button click for automatically using the first item in the drop down.

At times you can enter the names and click on apply it might not take on the new name details on a segment, then needing to have the details reentered and clicking on apply again, I've had the details dropped a handful of times and fewer still dropped 2 or 3 times.

You should see about allowing the states to be edited or allowing them to be added some where so a country can have proper states that can be selected.

Notes should be added.

Besides Alt names you should allow for Roads to number detail that show up as part of the name or a picture of the A2 etc that countries have on roads and highways and allow the app to show the picture as you go along a route.

Allow for the A/B of a segment to be swapped around instead of spinning it manually or having to do the lot numbering backwards on a segment.

Not a major thing for Australia but if not added already have a segment that denotes a border of a country or state.
xtago
Send a message

Post by youncs
I agree the large text on the left info tab is a bit overwhelming.

When you're doing thousands of edits it really helps having things a bit more condensed.

Working ok for me so far.

Still hoping to be able to send messages to UR's so I can at least paste a link to the wiki or forum
explaining why I didn't / couldn't fix the problem they reported.
youncs
Send a message
iPhone 4 / iOS6 *I dont' navigate very often, but when I do, I use Apple Maps . . .

Post by youncs
davipt wrote:
youncs wrote:Still hoping to be able to send messages to UR's so I can at least paste a link to the wiki or forum explaining why I didn't / couldn't fix the problem they reported.
I'd be happy just to see the name of the reporter. Then we could talk to the guy via the forum.
I can't get map editors to talk to me via the forum :roll:
youncs
Send a message
iPhone 4 / iOS6 *I dont' navigate very often, but when I do, I use Apple Maps . . .

Post by youncs
This actually started happening before the new release:

User Request: Drive incomplete, off the mark or appears as single green dot on map

Makin' it even harder to Sherlock Holmes these User Reports, and it's not like I can ask
the user to clarify.

I'm either going to mark all those solved or quit doing them at all. If I can't provide the explanation
as to why I'm closing their report out without solving it, I don't feel right about rejecting it. 9 times
out of 10 there is an explanation.
youncs
Send a message

Post by youncs
jasonh300 wrote:
While I was testing it just now, simply turning off the landmark layer didn't fix it for me. But once I turned off the Landmark layer and did a permalink, I couldn't get it to happen again.

Is that not the case for you?
Worked for me. Saving was still slow and there was some lag here and there, but no-more having to refresh all the time, thank goodness!
youncs
Send a message

Post by zCougar
skbun wrote:* City names with less than three characters are not rejected (Real world cases of such short names are exceedingly rare, but we get city smears all the time when people believe they've autocompleted a longer city name and haven't. See http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 48#p293748 (the problem) and http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 80#p295180 (possible solutions) for more on this.
We have 3 two letter city names (Aa, Ao, Oe) and 75 three letter names (54 unique) in Estonia. If you enable this check then make it clear how to add new cities or make it possible to create new cities for some editors based on their rank or whatever.

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Waze 4.83.5.1: Galaxy S21 5G | | Atom
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis