Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 am

wimdelange wrote:In the design of the UI there is not much consideration for the smaller screens. When I use my laptop with a screen of 1366x768 there is not much room for the map. All goes to the information on the streets and when I click on a issue on the map, it uses way too much space:
Image 1_1.jpg

I have the same size resolution and get by just fine. Hit Shift + F for a little more headroom

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby wroadd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 am

wimdelange wrote:In the design of the UI there is not much consideration for the smaller screens. When I use my laptop with a screen of 1366x768 there is not much room for the map. All goes to the information on the streets and when I click on a issue on the map, it uses way too much space:

Shift-f is your friend:-)

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-P1000-ről
Waze Global Champ, (Re)tired
Hardware: THL T11 & iPhone 5S
Car: Opel Insignia : blueish grey
wroadd

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

F11 is even much better
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 am

mssusa wrote:F11 is even much better

I don't want my window full screen though.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am

daknife wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:So waze please tell me the nickname of the reporter!!!

This is being looked into by management. Right now, the TOS/Privacy Policy doesn't allow it. It may be as easy as modifying that, but we're not sure.

Which is funny as there is no problem identifying the person who addressed the UR in the email the system kicks out. That is a double standard.

Ok I think I kind of understand waze's concerns here, but as daknife, I don't think it makes that much senses that all UR's are anonymous just because of some complains, specially when everything else is public or at least privacy configurable. But IANAL.

So I'd switch back my request from getting the UR's username visible to getting back some of the cartouche_old functionality, namely the two input boxes, one where the reporter can edit the text of the report (easier to write on the web than the client), and one where the editor can write back some text to the reporter, both inputs visible, so other editors can see the status of the report fix. No users need to be visible. A change on the editor box should generate an email to the reporter, similar to the "closed" email of today, so the reporter can go back to the report and add more data or whatever is needed to fix it.

I'd also like a feature to set reports to be visible only by owner, probably solving the privacy issue for some users. This because I use and abuse the reports to take notes, while driving, of each potential fix and relevant information. Then when I drive a new route it may happen that the route itself becomes drawn just with the reports. I believe this can be frustrating for other editors as most reports are cryptic (hard to write while driving) but enough for me to know what to fix.

PS: Also on the subject of notes, but it would be nice to have a "notes" field for each segments and landmarks where editors could leave notes to other editors stating why some change was done some way.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mssusa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 am

davipt wrote:...
So I'd switch back my request from getting the UR's username visible to getting back some of the cartouche_old functionality, namely the two input boxes, one where the reporter can edit the text of the report (easier to write on the web than the client), and one where the editor can write back some text to the reporter, both inputs visible, so other editors can see the status of the report fix. No users need to be visible. A change on the editor box should generate an email to the reporter, similar to the "closed" email of today, so the reporter can go back to the report and add more data or whatever is needed to fix it.

I'd also like a feature to set reports to be visible only by owner, probably solving the privacy issue for some users. This because I use and abuse the reports to take notes, while driving, of each potential fix and relevant information. Then when I drive a new route it may happen that the route itself becomes drawn just with the reports. I believe this can be frustrating for other editors as most reports are cryptic (hard to write while driving) but enough for me to know what to fix.

PS: Also on the subject of notes, but it would be nice to have a "notes" field for each segments and landmarks where editors could leave notes to other editors stating why some change was done some way.

+1

The communication with the reporter can also be using the client. This way, editors can get in touch with reporters who report an ambiguous issue many times. If they keep reporting then they are still using Waze and this is the best chance to invite them to explain the issue. Just show correspondence from the editors in the client's inbox.

Another +1 for the segment note field. A simple short text field to store notes on why something is done this way or that. I have many issues to address and can't fix all the area surrounding a report. I'm in a starting community with no active editors and no base map. So, I sometimes just fix the issue at hand and lay the base for future work and move on. I'd like to leave a note to myself or any other editor who might pass by.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am

mssusa wrote:Issues: (On Chrome, Chrome zoom %100, Windows 7 64bit, World server, All helper tools disabled except the live map navigation list).

1. I got road object/image mismatch after I played with it for some time. (...)
2. Geometry nodes are hard to spot.
3. There does need to be a faster way to access street names by just selecting the street without the need for "e" or clicking on "edit".
4. Hitting "Enter" on street name does not update it. I have to click on "Apply".
5. When naming segments of the same street by choosing from the nearby street name drop down list clicking on a names does not select it.
6. I sometimes get transparent turn restrictions that I can't change.

1 was already happening on the previous version. It works on my firefox, but my colleague on chrome was always seeing the roads besides the satellite images, so it's not a new bug (it may happen more now, I don't know)

2. +1, the new drag nodes and the new arrows when a segment is selected are hard to distinguish.

3. having the "e" to edit is already an advance from the previous version. I'd just suggest that pressing 'e' and opening the editing would pre-focus the city input field right away (or the street if city=none, or no focus if both=none of course)

4. works on firefox and safari, it may be a simple javascript fix. which browser?

5. also works on firefox. both clicking on the street with the mouse, as well as arrow down + enter. I do have a issue though. Let's assume there is a road named "N8" and a "N8-1". If I try to edit the street name and write "N" the drop down shows the two suggestions. Then I write 8 because I want N8, but because the first suggestion is N8-1, the input box changes automatically to N8-1. I basically need to write N8+ESC+Enter to dismiss the suggestion box and avoid saving the wrong name.

6. isn't that the transparent arrow feature? just press "a" to make them transparent or opaque, and shift-z to switch between the arrows from the selected segment to the red arrows on the map. some say shift-? gives you a screen with the keyboard commands, but I can only see it on safari and not on firefox, as the ? in the Portuguese keyboard is already a shift-key-right-to-0 so I can't do a double-shift ;)
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fotrik » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:So waze please tell me the nickname of the reporter!!!

This is being looked into by management. Right now, the TOS/Privacy Policy doesn't allow it. It may be as easy as modifying that, but we're not sure.

There is no need to see the reporter name if there is a way how to communicate with the reporter directly in the editor at least as it was done in Cartouche.
ImageImage
fotrik
Localizers
Localizers

Postby CrackedLCD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 am

Holy crap, it works in Opera now. :shock:

And in keeping with a theme from a few posts ago, I'm at a paltry 1280x960 on my trusty old 4:3 monitor, and it looks just fine. The left info pane is definitely bigger but not a deal breaker. My only real complaint so far is the geo nodes need to be black. And square. ;)
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 am

Just adding a note to the UR mail as to why it was not identified and to contact someone on the forum for a better solution would not be any different from the current canned response they get anyway.
The receiver already knows who closed the UR.

Knowing who created the UR would help editors to PM the user, and encourage forum participation.
No email address or other contact/personal info is made visible. It's as good as sending a forum PM.

The biggest problem is that a lot of PMs goes nowhere but your outbox.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor