Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby Numbtrip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Timbones wrote:I've not heard of any other editors having problems editing in the UK. Here are some suggestions of things to try:

• Make sure you're on the right server: https://world.waze.com/editor/ /!\
  • Don't use Internet Explorer - Firefox or Chrome are recommended
  • Disable any addons, plugins, ad blockers, etc
  • Check that the Roads layer is turned on
  • If you're having problems selecting roads, turn of the Landmarks layer
  • Clear out your browser cache
Hope that helps...

Did all that and like I said I tried several different browsers, PC's and networks.

I have been an IT tech for over 30 years so the obvious is the first thing I check.

I read that people said Chrome was better for it so I installed it and tried it, so it had no cache etc to worry about and it did exactly the same as Firefox (my preferred browser), it's frustrating because I really would like to contribute but the problem is making it more annoying than rewarding and strangly stressful.

The first couple of weeks I had no problems and I've made over 12,000 edits most of them were in the first few weeks but lately it's become a chore.
Numbtrip

Postby Numbtrip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The editor was down for the last 24 hours or so due to an upgrade. If you didn't know that, keep an eye on/subscribe to status.waze.com.

I would go check in to the UK forums to see what issues might be present at this time. I am not personally aware of any lingering issues. The road images are going to be slow for many hours while the new servers build up their cache of road images in memory rather than creating them with each request. When the same upgrade was done in the US, there was also some changes required to the caching to get them to perform as expected. It will likely be a few days before the system stabilizes as they get all the settings tweaked the way they need to be.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, but the issue I described has been ongoing for weeks now, and like I said it makes it impossible to do more than a few edits.

Due to outdated satelitte images I drove around a new housing estate and paved every road but it's impossible to edit what I've added because of the problem.

Regarding the "UK Forum" is that sepereate to this one ?

EDIT: Found the UK Forums so will look there for any further info.
Last edited by Numbtrip on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Numbtrip

Postby Numbtrip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What country are you trying to edit?

I am trying to edit UK maps.
Numbtrip

Postby Numbtrip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi

Sadly I have to report that whatever you've done to the map editor has put me right off of even attempting to edit anything.

90% of the time I am sat waiting for it to load road images and in the end I just give up.

Until I see or hear ubout a major improvement I for one will not bother wasting my time trying to edit roads only to sit around waiting for it to reload.

And before anyone starts blaming my browser or PC I've tried it on several different browsers, 5 different PC's and 3 different and unrelated networks.
Numbtrip

Postby Numbtrip » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 am

I have given up trying to edit at all now, everytime I try I maybe manage to do 1 or 2 edits before it constantly sits stating "loading Map images" or similar. I've even tried it it Chrome instead of Firefox but no change.

So annoying it's soured the editing, and its also much too fiddly to try and select a road that is almost horizontal on the map, I have to keep adjusting my mouse precision just to try and select 1 segment.
Numbtrip

Postby Nacron » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:39 am

Wow, just saw the new editor. Am I seeing a way to restrict u-turns by selecting multiple streets in an intersection?!

Nevermind, it's just diretionality for multiple segments
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Mycrophage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Is anyone, in any country knowing how does the Alt. Names works ?
In France we did not use this feature.
Is it possible to have something like :
Street Name : Street number (example : A1, N20, D171,...)
Alt Name : Road name (example : Autoroute du Soleil, Rue de la Paix,...)

Is this giving ability to have display like as we can found in the US or some roads in the World server :

Thx =)
..:: Light is Right ::..
Mycrophage

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 pm

top_gun_de wrote:The newly painted segment has no city and no name, so it is highlighted in grey. A newly painted road without an end-node is technically broken.

The highlighting extension is great, but it's new and not that wide-spread.

Best regards,

Detlev

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Everything I'm not completely done with is technically broken. Named or not. Newly mapped or disconnected from years old system-connected client-paved roads. All I'm saying is that I'm hacking this 'bug' to mark the roads that I should not end my editing session without mapping properly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby mssusa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I kinda like the current behavior. With the highlighting tool the lime color reminds me that work on this segment is not over yet. Very helpful with long roads and highways where there is a lot of panning.

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bz2012 wrote:Possible fix for:
"Highlighted segment has been extended beyond the allowed distance"

The workarounds have been documented for quite some time: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... _the_limit

Just splitting the segment is enough because then there are new segments with start/end points instead of an original segment with an end point moved too far.

BTW, is the speed data retained when you split a segment? In one or both segments? How about when you join an old segment to a newly created one and remove the junction to make a longer segment? This is important when mapping freeways out of scattered client paved roads.

If not, then the best option is to extend a little, save then extended a little more and so on.

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor