This has been being discussed in various ways in other threads, but I wanted to put this here, so there's one place for Waze/the developers to look. (As a suffix to this, I'm not just putting these down as 'Look at how I can break the editor! I've actually had to fix real world cases of these problems.)
* City names with less than three characters are not rejected (Real world cases of such short names are exceedingly rare, but we get city smears all the time when people believe they've autocompleted a longer city name and haven't. See viewtopic.php?p=293748#p293748
(the problem) and viewtopic.php?p=295180#p295180
(possible solutions) for more on this.
* When the number of a city's streets is zero, a cityID is not deleted from the database (Related to above. If these don't get cleaned out, fat-finger errors can be reintroduced 'because that city DOES exist'.
* Spaces are not chopped from the middle of a city string (In other words, 'Federal Way' is not equal to 'Federal Way', but I can create a city with that name, and saving the latter will create a new CityID if it does not exist)
* Special characters are allowed in city names (e.g. $%,; ...) I suspect a couple select ones would want to be allowed like apostrophe, dashes...but as it is it looks like anything goes right now.
* 'The highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to' does not check altStreets for their
cityIDs. I can add an alt street from anywhere in a state or country, in an alt street.
* In the United States, the state that the editor believes you are in is offered as a possible city. If I am in Washington, and start a city name with 'S', 'Washington' is given as an autocomplete. If I accept that, the cityID assigned is 100000040. I have to assume this is not what's wanted. (I've seen this sometimes, probably where a user was quickly tabbing around and didn't realize what they'd filled.) If there's a similar problem with countries on World, I can't see it because the infrastructure is being moved at the moment.
* I don't know how they got there, but there exist 'cities' in the database city names whose name is NULL or empty. I discovered this with the highlighter tool, when I saw two identical 'No City, State' entries in an area.
One example is the altStreet on https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=61284239
whose cityID is 47991, not 999953. My guess is there are others on NA or world. I don't know if that might cause weird pollution behind the scenes.
* Please add more than six colors to the 'Cities' layer pallette. See viewtopic.php?p=293719#p293719
for more information.
As always, thank you so much for reading!