Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bz2012 wrote:Possible fix for:
"Highlighted segment has been extended beyond the allowed distance"

The workarounds have been documented for quite some time: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... _the_limit

Just splitting the segment is enough because then there are new segments with start/end points instead of an original segment with an end point moved too far.


BTW, is the speed data retained when you split a segment? In one or both segments? How about when you join an old segment to a newly created one and remove the junction to make a longer segment? This is important when mapping freeways out of scattered client paved roads.

If not, then the best option is to extend a little, save then extended a little more and so on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby beffl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 am

mssusa wrote:BTW, is the speed data retained when you split a segment? In one or both segments? How about when you join an old segment to a newly created one and remove the junction to make a longer segment? This is important when mapping freeways out of scattered client paved roads.

If not, then the best option is to extend a little, save then extended a little more and so on.


That's point I'm interested in, too. I read in a post that if you shorten (in terms of compress not to cut) a segment the speed rises e.g. the average speed of the segment is 50kmh. After shortenig the segment to the half the average speed rises to 100kmh. Can this happen?

THX, Stefan
Cheers,
Beffl - CM AT + DE
Image
Wiki Portal Österreich: Image | Waze Austria auf: Image Image Image
Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert | KISS | Der richtige Start beim Editieren
Waze iOS 3.7 | iPhone4s | iPad4
beffl
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Perchtoldsdorf (bei Wien), Austria
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby bgodette » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:06 am

beffl wrote:
mssusa wrote:BTW, is the speed data retained when you split a segment? In one or both segments? How about when you join an old segment to a newly created one and remove the junction to make a longer segment? This is important when mapping freeways out of scattered client paved roads.

If not, then the best option is to extend a little, save then extended a little more and so on.


That's point I'm interested in, too. I read in a post that if you shorten (in terms of compress not to cut) a segment the speed rises e.g. the average speed of the segment is 50kmh. After shortenig the segment to the half the average speed rises to 100kmh. Can this happen?

THX, Stefan
Only in Cartouche, which isn't available any more. Papyrus/WME has always handled speed data correctly in the backend.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby bgodette » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:07 am

mssusa wrote:BTW, is the speed data retained when you split a segment? In one or both segments? How about when you join an old segment to a newly created one and remove the junction to make a longer segment?
Yes, both, averaged.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 am

I think I found out yet another issue, albeit I think this was also happening on the previous editor. This seems to be the reason for my reversed A-B -> B->A roundabout and other segments.

- Create a segment from left to right, A->B
- Create a second segment connected to B, also left to right
- You'll have two connected segments A->B A->B
- click on the node
- press delete
- alternatively click on both segments, whichever order, and click on the bridge

what would happen
- one segment with A->B

what happens
- randomly the segment becomes B->A. Funny thing is that 90% of the time, doing "undo" and repeating the exact same operation (delete node or bridge) will do the correct thing and keep the new segment A->B

Now I understand why I have so many segments with one-way and locked but with fwd and rev average speed. It was my adjustments of ramps or roundabout nodes that were reversing the A->B to B->A and screwing the up.

Now it's way easier to identify with the big A and B balls. Again, if fails, undo and repeat!
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Oeiras, Portugal
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 561 times

Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby fvwazing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 am

Cool find! Which reminds me... Is there any possibility to reset those speeds, apart from creating the segment new?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm

A reset would mean nothing. The data on speeds is also kept in various increments in the back end for each unique segment id. You only see the overall averages in WME.

A 'combine' function would have more use for unsplitting without losing all data, effectively combining the data for both directions into a new single segment id.
On the other hand, it should be up to date in a few days anyway if it's a busy stretch of road.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
Image
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Centurion, Pretoria, South Africa
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:A reset would mean nothing. The data on speeds is also kept in various increments in the back end for each unique segment id. You only see the overall averages in WME.


Taking in consideration the "bug" I reported above, it would indeed be nice to be able to reset the averages, fwd and rev in separate. Because of this A-B reversal, I have now a lot of one-way segments with averages in both ways, and it would be nice to see 0 on the reverse direction which should never be driven.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Oeiras, Portugal
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 561 times

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm

davipt wrote:Because of this A-B reversal, I have now a lot of one-way segments with averages in both ways, and it would be nice to see 0 on the reverse direction which should never be driven.


I think we might need 'official' confirmation from Waze that the maintained timed stats are also duplicated when a segment is split, and not just the averages. By themselves, the averages likely would not affect routing.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
Image
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Centurion, Pretoria, South Africa
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm

The a/b "reversal" was documented before, I forget where, and whether we figured out the reason.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23480
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1085 times
Been thanked: 4610 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher