Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby rleejr79 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:20 am

In the screenshot posted:

1.) I understand the the alt name feature works. Do I have to delete and reassign alt name every time? I am unable to edit the alt name as is. Yes, I have permission and I was last to lock it. (Highlighted it in red on left)

2.) Is the highlighted segment supposed to be to the side of the visual location of the road? If so, that is going to take some time to get used to. (Scroll right to see red arrow pointing to what I mean)

3.) The Highlights Script (by Timbones?) works with the new version as well.

4.) Is Waze going to implement their own search result as per the ability to enter house numbers or is it still going to use the search provider?

5.) +1 for simplifying the functions on the left side

11-5-2012 7-16-34 PM.jpg
11-5-2012 7-16-34 PM.jpg (244.83 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Last edited by rleejr79 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Image Image My Waze idea: Vote Here Pls!
rleejr79

Postby mike-bronner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 am

ronnyromero wrote:how about a map editor native app for ipad...then we could add more stuff on the road

Hi Ronny,

Have you tried editing with the new WME on iPad. Seems to work pretty well. I have a few ideas to increase screen real estate, but for the most part it looks pretty straight-forward. I have been able to edit, create, delete without any issues.
mike-bronner

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 am

While we're at bug reporting and improvements, there is an old issue still present on the new version. It happens only with Firefox (not on Safari or Chrome), where segments on the horizontal (or almost) are quite hard to select. Vertical or diagonal ones are ok.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Also, the primary name is used for shield creation, but alternate names can hold a local name if the route name is the most popular local name.

It would really be nice if the behaviour was that primary AND alt names should be scanned for something that generates a shield; and that basically, 'most popular local name' IS the primary -- because that's invariably what's on street signs for turn by turn directions.

In almost all cases in my local area, you will see (for example) 'Main St' on all intersection signage on state routes - thus that's what really needs to be said by TTS navigation directions, but you will also see the occasional 'SR-500' shield. In a case like that, you really need to have 'Main St' as the primary, and the SR as an alt.

So far as that goes, in pretty much any city, a state or US highway will tend to have a 'City name' inside a city, and will only be referred to as 'US-41' as primary in rural areas.

See https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=63218443 for an example of what I'm talking about.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby rleejr79 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 am

skbun wrote:
It would really be nice if the behavior was that primary AND alt names should be scanned for something that generates a shield...

+1

Image Image My Waze idea: Vote Here Pls!
rleejr79

Postby Daknife » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:So waze please tell me the nickname of the reporter!!!

This is being looked into by management. Right now, the TOS/Privacy Policy doesn't allow it. It may be as easy as modifying that, but we're not sure.

Which is funny as there is no problem identifying the person who addressed the UR in the email the system kicks out. That is a double standard.

I think someone's just dragging their feet and trying to make a good sounding excuse.

I don't mind people seeing that daknife was able or not able to solve the problem. But that's why you have the username and PM'ing via the forum to enable the communication. Seeing a username does not reveal an identity. It doesn't even give us an email address to try to associate with a real person. Just a username, that will send an email to the user without giving me at the sending end any way to see who is getting the email. It's actually a very private system, thus that argument totally fails.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Daknife » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:55 am

rleejr79 wrote:
skbun wrote:
It would really be nice if the behavior was that primary AND alt names should be scanned for something that generates a shield...

+1

And another +1
The local name should have precedence and be on the primary, with the shield being pulled from the alternate while the primary name is shown.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 am

davipt wrote:The legal boilerplate should the same - the privacy applied to police/accident/etc reports visible on the client map should be the same as the privacy of a user report on the editor, or am I missing something?

I haven't read it recently, but before v3.5, there was no "invisible" mode, but there was the no-login mode giving you a usa_ or world_ username. The legalese I believe gave more privacy rights to the user regardless of submitting requests and what not. Waze just needs to make sure they have the right language to avoid lawsuits. Some users have been vocally pissed about their data being captured and stored. In fact, the reason the username was removed from URs was, I believe, because of an outcry.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 am

daknife wrote:
rleejr79 wrote:
skbun wrote:

+1

And another +1
The local name should have precedence and be on the primary, with the shield being pulled from the alternate while the primary name is shown.

We don't know how the new method will or will not generate shields, or whether alternate names will also be displayed. A lot of unknowns.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 am

rleejr79 wrote:1.) I understand the the alt name feature works. Do I have to delete and reassign alt name every time? I am unable to edit the alt name as is. Yes, I have permission and I was last to lock it. (Highlighted it in red on left)

Yes, because each of the city/street name pairs are part of the street table (not the segment table), they must be either added or deleted, but not modified. If you modified the street name directly, that would change every segment which referred to that object in the street database, which would likely have significant unintended consequences. (Segments are "sub-objects" of streets.)

rleejr79 wrote:2.) Is the highlighted segment supposed to be to the side of the visual location of the road? If so, that is going to take some time to get used to. (Scroll right to see red arrow pointing to what I mean)

There is likely a script active which is causing that, or browser zoom level is not 100%. I've also noted the bug to developers that selecting Drives will also shift the road objects compared to the image location.

rleejr79 wrote:4.) Is Waze going to implement their own search result as per the ability to enter house numbers or is it still going to use the search provider?

I addressed this in another thread. Yes and no. Depends on country, and depends on whether they even stick with the sequential numbering thing. Many countries do not use sequential numbering and so this feature of Waze is useless.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor