The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Map Problems in Oakville, ON, Canada

Post by drw1905
I tried to go into the editor, but I do not have access to edit the issue.  I will try to explain better.

Here is the location of this report:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... -79.734312

There are a number of issues at play here.  There are a number of highway names that are not listed correctly in the directions provided, when read by Waze:

The Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) is often read as Q (I assume the system sees the E and thinks it means east), but the highway also has directions East and West, but sometimes uses city names to orient drivers.

The 407 ETR (407 Electronic Toll Route) is often referred to as 407 E (I assume the system see the E and thinks it means east), but the highway also has directions East and West, but sometimes uses city names to orient drivers.

Consequently, anytime I have seen the system encounter these names they are read incorrectly.

Additionally, when the system sees the word 'via', it reads out 'vista'

This results in:

"take exit Q vista 403"

Which should read:

"take exit QEW via 403"

I hope this explains it better.  Please let me know if you need more information.

The QEW and 407 ETR are both long highways, so I'm sure this happens in other locations on their route, but can only confirm the couple I have experienced.

Regards,
seanrb

On Dec 18, 2012, at 09:22 AM, support@waze.com wrote:

Hi seanrb,

The map problem you reported on Waze on Dec 18, (the system reports highway Q vista 403. should be QEW VIA 403. Q = QEW and vista = via.) has been reviewed by lily_m but wasn't resolved, most likely due to insufficient information or non-exact location.

Solving map problems is done by wazers just like you, who have also become active in updating and improving the Waze map for the benefit of the entire community. You can try to solve the problem you reported by yourself. It's pretty simple and any change you make will affect the quality of navigation for thousands of Wazers in your area, as well as credit you with extra points.

You can access the area which contains the problem you reported on the Waze map editor here.

Check out the video on How to edit the Waze map, or the Editing Manual and visit the Waze forum to interact with experienced map editors.

Thanks,

- All of us @ Waze
drw1905

POSTER_ID:3773192

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It would probably be best to PM lily_m since that was the editor who responded to your map issue report.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ