The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

To map or not to map - Roundabout in middle of road

Post by AndyPoms
What do you all think about mapping this roundabout? https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

There really are two options - continue straight through or make a U-Turn and go back where you came from...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4797498

Send a message
Attachments
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Despite not liking having to do it, I would map it. WeeeZer14 and others have posted good reasons why it should be mapped.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:
invented wrote:Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?
At a normal 4-way roundabout, it'll say "at the roundabout take the 1st exit" for a right turn...then 2nd exit to go straight, 3rd exit to turn left, and 4th exit for a U-turn.
Maybe I'm missing what you mean by a "normal" 4-way roundabout... But a roundabout for roads meeting at right angles, it will never say exit number, but will say turn or continue for all but the u-turn, for which I imagine it will say 4th exit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
shawndoc wrote:Is it going to be common for someone to need to make a U-Turn there?
From what I can tell, no....
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Ikkabar wrote:Is it possible that there will soon be a new housing development to the north or south, accessed off the roundabout?
Not likely...
Ikkabar wrote: If there is then I would map it, otherwise I'd leave it as it is, and only map it if there are a lot of UR's for it.
Only that one that's there in the image (in the last year or so...)
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
WeeeZer14 wrote:2.) The road appears to change names here. The roundabout makes that change more obvious and stops (or slows down) an editor from trying to "fix" things and propagate one name to the other segment to delete the junction representing the current name change.
The road doesn't change names at the roundabout, the road changes names at the town border which is to the west of the roundabout. So we're still going to have the extra node "issue", but I don't think that is enough to warrant not mapping it...
WeeeZer14 wrote:1.) It does represent an "obstacle" that must be dealt with. Being told your next turn is in 3 miles and then coming upon the roundabout in the dark of night could be surprising, confusing, or even dangerous (if the person is stupid and relying on Waze too much).
Very good point...
WeeeZer14 wrote:3.) Someone is going to think there should be a roundabout there. Do you trust the average editor to do it right?
Someone already tired to (and did it incorrectly) after my original post... :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Despite not liking having to do it, I would map it. WeeeZer14 and others have posted good reasons why it should be mapped.
As always, Alan does a good job so summarizing everything, I'll be mapping this shortly...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
In CT, that's officially (CT DOT) not a roundabout, it's a "traffic calming device"... Doesn't keep people from not knowing how to navigate them (go around like a traffic circle)... Personally I think it's too small to try to map as a roundabout...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by CBenson
I have not been mapping roundabouts with less than three streets connected to them.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I believe it is angles and number of exits. My limited experience matches the explanation in the wiki, but its not like I measure the angles to be sure.
EDIT: Yeah, what Timbones said.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902