The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Waze not recognising my preferred routes

Post by laoise
I've been driving my preferred routes for the past 2months, but waze still sends me a different way every time. I thought you just drive your route a few times and waze learns it but this hasn't happened. I have the auto-learn preferred route switched on. Can anyone help me?
laoise

POSTER_ID:11185537

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
laoise wrote:I've been driving my preferred routes for the past 2months, but waze still sends me a different way every time. I thought you just drive your route a few times and waze learns it but this hasn't happened. I have the auto-learn preferred route switched on. Can anyone help me?
The feature is mis-named. Waze does not learn preferred routes, but your often-used destinations. It will pop-up with the "Are going home?" or "going to work?" messages for these frequented destinations.

Waze should always pick what it believes (mathematically) is the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, and I've done this myself, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions.

If both the routes are heavily populated by Waze users, then lack of data isn't likely the issue.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
From my response to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30196
AndyPoms wrote:Waze doesn't learn routes... It learns your common destinations...

Waze also "learns" information about the roads you travel - average speed (broken down into 10-15 minute increments), time at the ends of segments (how long it takes to make each turn), etc. It uses all that data to determine the fastest route.

When Waze suggests "wrong" directions consistently you can help it "learn" by driving both your preferred route as well as the "wrong" route several times. Waze will take that data into consideration and "learn" the faster route.

Maybe the "wrong" route is actually faster, maybe it isn't and Waze needs more data, maybe some Wazer drove the "wrong" road several times 20mph over the speed limit and fed Waze bad data making Waze think it's faster, maybe some other Wazer rode his bicycle down the "right" way at 5mph and fed Waze bad data making Waze think it's slower. There is also the possibility there are errors on the map that need to be fixed.

Waze also "learns" if roads are two-way or one-way, which turns are allowed after a basemap import by "seeing" which ways drivers go on roads & which turns they use (and don't use).
The big thing to do is to make sure there aren't any errors on your preferred route (a mis-typed road, a "turn" straight through an intersection that isn't allowed on the map, etc)...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ