Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by jasonh300
The city polygons have updated again. The couple of experimental things that I didn't want anymore in the area here are now gone, and then an inexperienced editor created a city right in the middle of New Orleans called "New" with a street created yesterday.

And D'Lberville is gone now...only about 10 hours after I removed it from the editor!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
paulwelch23 wrote:This polygon covers the ENTIRE city of Nashville as well as many of of it major suburbs.
Okay, I fixed that segment. Post here again when the "M" goes away. I've already fixed everything here and it's updated, so I'm curious to know if they're rebuilding the city polygons nightly or weekly or what.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
gerben wrote:For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.
. . . And which layer would I turn on to see the tile boundries?
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by OhioStMusicMan
So I threw on the city layer today and saw this:
Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 3.38.11 PM.jpg
(244.64 KiB) Downloaded 1931 times
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&lat ... FFTFTTTTFT

This whole area is covered in a green city layer and it stretches from Cleveland down to Columbus & Cincinnati and over to Toledo. The city labels seem to be in the correct place but many city boundaries seem to have disappeared.
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
AndyPoms wrote:I'm seeing updates in CT... The addition of the City of "W" and the Town of "gr" due to mislabeled segments (now fixed)... :roll: Still appearing on the map are the neighborhood of "Blue Hills" (all segments removed over 6 months ago), and "Canaan" (the neightborhood in the town of North Canaan") which was removed (relabeled "North Canaan") so we could label the actual Town of Canaan as "Canaan" as it was never labeled in the first place. :x
I just discovered someone made a typo in a couple of segments that have now created the city of "Find;ay", OH (as opposed to Findlay)...
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
skbun wrote: The offending 'city' is 'M, Ohio'. If you scroll around the borders, especially with the help of the WME highlighting tool if you are an AM, you'll be able to identify and reassign those segments.

Waze? I can't help but notice that both of these occurred in cities beginning with M, Marblehead, and Maumee. It's pointing to a problem I've had myself, with the WME city completion. Cities are given in the dropdown using cities.get, and one is highlighted. A user will often assume that hitting tab or similar will autocomplete it, but it won't. Instead, you get...this. I don't really think this is the user's fault. The editor can be clumsy about this.

Can we make the 'Cities' blank into an explicit 'Select' choices dropdown, whose last option is 'New city', where THEN a user gets a blank where they can fill in their own field? Or, if not that, at least just pop up a warning saying 'You are trying to create a new city, 'M, Ohio'. Are you sure you want to do that?'
This makes sense now. ALL of the points for my earlier problem are in cities/villages/towns starting w/ M names: Middletown, Maumee, Marblehead, Medina, etc. While scrolling around I noticed many other small "towns" who were created because of a spelling error - Find;ay instead of Findlay, Monro instead of Monroe, etc. Many of those segments I checked were the result of experienced and inexperienced editors alike.
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
jasonh300 wrote:I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work that way. However, there has also been talk about wanting to get rid of the Country, State and City fields and just let the hidden layer handle all that, but allow the polygons to be editable by CMs. If we had such a thing, I'd be willing to be that the Champs could get the state and country polygons for the U.S. and Canada fixed within a week. (Same with the country polygons for ROTW.) In that case, the cities would have to be tackled on a case-by-case basis. This may just be a pipe-dream though. I don't know if it's feasible or not, but it's been suggested more than once.
+1
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
skbun wrote:Okay. So there is a gray cities layer, and a layer that shows names of cities for the gray layer. If memory serves me, they're 'cities_01' and 'cities_names'. As best I can reverse engineer, these are only generated at map tile generation time. They're used in the following ways:
Waze client (Android at least): BOTH
Waze Livemap: Only the placement of city names
If this is the case, then why is M, Ohio still appearing in the client?
IMG_1585.PNG
(141.66 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times
Even though "M" is not showing at this zoom level, that giant kite shape laying waste to the great state of Ohio is the aforementioned "M, Ohio". GizmoGuy and I took care of this by Nov. 19, it no longer appears in the colored WME City layer, and here it is still in the client. And yes, I refreshed the tiles...

Even more interesting, however, is when I zoom in around me...
IMG_1586.PNG
(128.45 KiB) Downloaded 1226 times
There are seemingly random squares of "M, Ohio" that appear regularly along my commute between Bowling Green & Toledo. Even better, depending on the zoom level, some disappear while others appear. These segments all have no city attached to them (confirmed in WME).
skbun wrote:If the above is how this works, and Waze could tell us either way, right?, IMHO, it'd be to our advantage to have cities_p update as often as Waze will do it. Two big reasons:
1. The closer to real time this layer is run, the more often we can check the cities layer to see if smears have been resolved or new bogus cities have appeared - particularly if they increase the number of colors and boldness of borders to make them easier to see; and they may be caught/removed before they're ever even seen on the clients. But, especially,
2. I'm almost certain that 'The highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to' is dependant on the cities_p layer, not the one we see on the live map tiles. Put another way, if the city polygon layer for WME were run with each edit, we'd never have the 'M, Ohio covers half the state' problem ever again**. In any case, the more often it runs, the less we'll see it. I can happily add a fictitious 'T, California' on two segments, between saves, 150 miles away from one another, so this really leans toward 'It's about that multicolored polygon layer'. To me, it seems Waze doesn't know 'how far too far is' unless there's a polygon to check against.
Personally, I don't understand why the WME & client city layers couldn't be the same thing. Editable polygons that could be fixed by CMs as needed and then left. After all, how many city boundaries change on a weekly basis? Then, the need to type in a city for a segment is eliminated and, therefore, these phantom cities. I know I'm not a fan of city boundaries being determined by city names per segment.

Am I missing something here? Is something like I'm thinking of simply a pipe dream? Please, feel free to educate me!
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
Mike-1323 wrote:
gerben wrote:For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.
. . . And which layer would I turn on to see the tile boundries?
Does this mean we'd have to basically re-save a majority of roads as they are in order for the massive smudge to be gone on the next tile update?
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:All the segments responsible for the smudge must be fixed, of course. Then, any tile the smudge went through would need at least one segment trivially updated, like a geometry node delete or add. Nothing fancy.
I take it there isn't any way to see tile boundaries in WME?
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message