The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How accurate should roads be to Aerial view?

Post by Lonewolf147
I'm a recent manager of my area and I'm making many little adjustments here and there. But one thing I've noticed is that almost the entire Road layer of the maps is slightly shifted off true for the Aerial layer. How accurate are they? Should I be shifting every road to exactly match the Aerial view?
Lonewolf147

POSTER_ID:207627

Send a message

Post by khaytsus
robdb wrote:I know this isn't a recent thread, but I was just looking around and thought I would also point out that depending on the altitude that the photo was taken from (e.g. typical plane altitude versus satellite photo) we could also be seeing the effect of drawing a spherical map on a flat surface - this process is called a Mercator Projection and effects most maps we use today.
Unless you work for a government agency, it's unlikely you have satellite imagery down to road-level resolution.

All of the aerials which have good detail will be from planes, which still have to be corrected, but are much closer than satellites.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by Lonewolf147
I'm not sure what the Administration Recommended Way would be, but I would think going into the map editor and adjusting them manually would be faster than re-driving the roads. Besides, even after you drive the roads, it is best to go into the editor and 'fix' the new roads. So since you have to go to the editor anyways, save yourself some gas and just do it all there.
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by robdb
I know this isn't a recent thread, but I was just looking around and thought I would also point out that depending on the altitude that the photo was taken from (e.g. typical plane altitude versus satellite photo) we could also be seeing the effect of drawing a spherical map on a flat surface - this process is called a Mercator Projection and effects most maps we use today.
robdb
Send a message
iPhone 4 - Area Manager: Little Rock - North Little Rock - Sherwood, Arkansas

Post by Thiesen
What you are seeing is something called "parallax error" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_error due to the angle the photograph is taken from. You have to remember that the aerial photos cover quite a large area in one shot. The things farthest from the center of the image will get a bigger parallax error than the center does.

That is why you can see roads slightly out of alignment even on Google Maps. They (TeleAtlas) know about this.

So you should only use the aerials as reference.
Thiesen
Send a message

Post by walkerb52
Ok, slightly off topic, but mostly on for this thread regarding shift on the photographs. I too am a recently appointed area manager and last night I found an area (about 3 neighborhoods) that is shifted incredibly on the maps compared to the aerial photos. I drove through it with the GPS on and all the streets are off by a large enough amount that waze has no idea what street I'm actually on and keeps hopping all over the place changing directions.

Is the recommended solution for this to try and move all of the existing streets using the update maps page so they line up correctly with the area or would it be better to blow them away in the map and then go through and remap them using gps from waze mobile to create the streets?

---
Jeff
walkerb52
Send a message
Jeff
South Denver Area Manager (starting small)
HTC Fuze