The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by unwallflower
briandb1222 wrote:+1.

Adding speed limits need not effect traffic data (isn't traffic data received from Wazers traveling the same route anyways?). Adding speed limits should be there only to let the Wazer know they are speeding, or what not. Even a voice alert could be cool, something like 'Warning, you are speeding over the limit,' and also allow different notifications, maybe even like faking a police siren, what not.
I think this could be a good feature, but I would definitely suggest the alert to be an option. I know that it would drive me crazy. In some places speeding is the norm. Not reckless speeding by any means, but going over the speed limit all the same.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by waynemcdougall
Actually the original post was observing that if Waze thinks the average speed on a road is 100km/hr (thanks to Wazers speed along at night), but the speed limit is 50km/hr, and you cruise along at 60 km/hr you'll generate a warning of, say, moderate traffic on that road.

I don't think this is a problem because:
1. There won't be many such roads with such extremes
2. As the road is driven more, Waze will have data of the average speed at different times of day, so will look at the daytime speed average
3. Since Waze is using the average speed of the road (100 km/hr) when routing, and finds that the actual speed today is only 60km/hr it is correct that it should generate a traffic warning. I don't want to be routed down there because Waze thinks I can complete that road segment at 100km/hr. It is correct that Waze now considers it a 60 km/hr road for routing. In time it will learn that it is always 60 km/hr at that time of day.

So its WAD (working as designed), and the problem (rare) will go away completely in time.

That was the original post.

Following posts are on a variety of topics. This whole thread should be condemned as structurally unsafe.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by waynemcdougall
QuickOK wrote:I'll get back to this thread later, I have to get ready for work. We don't seem to be looking at the same issue. -toodles :D
Look forward o return.

Yes, you misunderstood the original post from the start I see. Here it is, read it again, in light of me spelling it out above.
I think we really need to specify the speed limit for every piece of street: suppose to drive in a road where the speed limit is 50km/h, but wazers usually drive it at 100km/h (for example because of the habits of some user that are driving it in the night). If I drive at 60km/h waze propose reporting traffic and if I miss the message it mark the road! I think users should be able to choose if they want to avoid traffic below the average speed or only the traffic below the speed limit.
He's concerned about an automatic traffic congestion warning being sent out because his speed is significantly below what Waze considers an average road speed, even if he is still travelling higher than the speed limit.

You, @QuickOK, being smart, will see that now.

The third point being raised in this thread is Waze having speed limit information available on roads. Nice, but a maintenance nightmare, and if not complete could do more harm than good. Maybe in places where it is deceptive. TomTom can't get it right. Still as long as it isn't forced on anyone, I'm sure it will be fine.

The second point, which you raised is more interesting. Roads that are busy all the time. Posted speed limit is 50 km/hr, but the average speed is 28 km/hr. Waze won't generate a traffic congestion warning until the speed drops to 20 km/hr (say). You happily drive on to this road, seeing wazers on it, no congestion warning, and woah! crawl along to the next exit. You want to see a permanent congestion warning, which could be based on average road speed (by Waze) against the posted speed limit.

Waze staff have indicated they are working on this and thinking of doing something along these lines. A cluttered map is one issue.

I think making a change is a mistake. I think it is best the way it is, and here's why.

Waze is all about the routing. I can only see people complaining if they aren't putting in routes in waze and just driving along looking at roads to see if they are clear. Danegrous and dumb. Need I say more?

If you put in the route Waze will use that "always congested road" ONLY IF it is still the fastest road, even given the average speed is 28 km/hr. Doesn't matter that it is congested, if its still the fastest route. Thats probably why it is congested.

I'm only interested in rerouting if the road speed drops even further than normal. It drops to 20 km/hr - light traffic, and now Waze will reevaluate the route and may suggest something better. Or maybe there is still nothing better.

Because, gentle reader, you are so smart, you will see that the posted speed limit is of no interest to me in the fastest routing. Nor doe the fact the road is slow all the time concern me. All that concerns me is whether it is even slower than usual, and how much slower than usual it is.

And traffic congestion, based on actual versus average road speed gives me that. I don't want warnings about actual versus speed limits, or even average versus speed limits. Since the speed limit road speed is only used in dumb GPS applications like Tomtom that don't know any better.

So 3 topics:
1. Traffic warnings generated at too high a road speed - rare and will solve itself
2. Traffic warnings not generated on routinely congested roads for normal congestion levels - Working As Designed
3. Speed limits attached to roads, client warnings - meh

Please feel free to call me names at this point :mrgreen:
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard

Post by waynemcdougall
QuickOK wrote:I think we got off topic here... the purpose of the speed limit placed on a segment is to properly indicate a jam... if the speed is higher or lower than a percentage then it should indicate the severity of the jam... that's what the original post was about.
Ok, I've been unfair to you. You focussed on the proposed solution, and I was looking at the problem. So yes, the original post mentioned this as a solution. It's not the usual case where this is mentioned as a solution.

At any event, as I explained for too long, I don't agree with the proposed solution at all.

But sorry for thinking and saying you were off track.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Wayne McDougall

Post by zCougar
FreeMan12 wrote:I also tend to trigger jam reports if I pull into a gas station and forget to exit waze, or set it to resume manually.
One thing I have found is that if you add gas station to the map (I just draw parking lot road vi it) then you usually don't have any problems. In this case your car does not try to stick at road but moves to the parking lot road where speed monitoring does not seem to used.

For example I added parking lot as POI (I'm not sure it helps) and parking lot around around my office and now I can turn on waze already when walking to car without creating and alerts about traffic jams with that.

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Waze 4.83.5.1: Galaxy S21 5G | | Atom
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis