The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Phantom Road Restrictions

Post by rtwolfe
Got one for you.

I think I goofed as a newbie. Early on, I spent a lot of time taking out all the un-needed junctions along I-94, the major east west freeway between St Paul and Minneapolis. THEN I learned about Turn Restrictions. Once I turned on Restricted Turns in the View panel, the turn restrictions around existing junctions appeared but I also noted that a LOT of 'phantom turn restrictions' appeared exactly where a previously un-needed junction used to exist.

I tried adding a junction near the middle of the phantom turn restriction , clicking the new junction and then clicking Enable all turns... but that did not seem to work. Is there a way to remove these phantom turn restrictions? Here is a permalink example

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6&l ... FTFFFTTTTT

Thanks for the help

P.S. I'm kinda worried because waze struggles with getting my work/home navigation right and there are a couple spots where the only thing that looks wrong is this phantom turn restriction thing.
rtwolfe

POSTER_ID:219180

Send a message
Area Manager - Edina Mn
Have a great day!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c2/T ... ogo_sm.JPG

Post by unwallflower
RallyChris wrote:The logic is suppose to be that there is connectivity, which shows which turns are valid (either seen in route analysis, or manually done in cartouche) and there is turn restrictions which are manual entries in cartouche for what can't be done.

The problem is that the turn restrictions layer has an issue with some editing workflows. It has been seen to either add phantom restrictions, and then there is the not removing the existing turn restriction arrows when one of the effected elements (road, junction) are removed. In both cases, the "phantom" turn restriction only looks like it effects the currently shown node. But if you turn on highlight connectivity (and have enabled all turns) that it doesn't.

So... it's hard to tell what is a legitimate turn restrictions from the broken ones. Use highlight connectivity as it reflects both allowed and disallowed turns correctly. Every time you work with an intersection check that the highlight connectivity makes sense.
Oh, I understand the logic behind what it's SUPPOSED to do.

I was saying that I feel like there has to be some sort of logic behind what it's actually doing, i.e. a reason WHY these "phantom" turn restrictions are being added when they shouldn't be, or not being removed when they should be.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
obsolete29 wrote:Yeah I see. I don't use the turn restrictions layer. It seemed confusing to me at first glance and I've not taken the time to understand what it's trying to say... esp since I use the highlight connectivity option to get the same info.
Don't bother trying to understand it... it's just a mess. I'm not sure what the logic is to it anymore (I feel like there has to be SOME logic behind what it's displaying). It's very broken. :?
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
obsolete29 wrote:The turn restriction layer and the high light connectivity really is displaying the same information in my experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Take a look at the permalink that khatysus posted earlier... that is a good example of highlight connectivity disagreeing with the turn restrictions layer, and it is a good example of why I leave the turn restrictions layer off.

If you check out that intersection, it has a TON of turn restrictions shown, yet highlight connectivity shows that all turns are enabled.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
khaytsus wrote:http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=7&l ... FTTFFFTTTT

I must say, I've impressed myself with this one... It seems I often have problems fixing recorded roads and making them finalized, but this one is... Well, look and see what happened. I've tried everything in the book, it only seems to keep getting worse.

I think I'm with the other folks; disabling the restricted turns layer. Though I must think that this is in the database somewhere therefore adding more bog for the system to churn through, plus often I find connectivity isn't right even when connectivity in the editor looks good when this phantom stuff is around.
Will it not route you correctly in this area? If it's still routing correctly I would just ignore it. I see no point to editing with the restricted turns layer on... it really is broken. Having it turned on only causes confusion and frustration. I've done thousands and thousands of edits with the restricted turns layer OFF and highlight connectivity ON... and everything routes fine for me, haven't had one problem in areas that I've edited this way.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
The logic is suppose to be that there is connectivity, which shows which turns are valid (either seen in route analysis, or manually done in cartouche) and there is turn restrictions which are manual entries in cartouche for what can't be done.

The problem is that the turn restrictions layer has an issue with some editing workflows. It has been seen to either add phantom restrictions, and then there is the not removing the existing turn restriction arrows when one of the effected elements (road, junction) are removed. In both cases, the "phantom" turn restriction only looks like it effects the currently shown node. But if you turn on highlight connectivity (and have enabled all turns) that it doesn't.

So... it's hard to tell what is a legitimate turn restrictions from the broken ones. Use highlight connectivity as it reflects both allowed and disallowed turns correctly. Every time you work with an intersection check that the highlight connectivity makes sense.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png