Reported speedcams missing in editor

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Postby Anlo2846 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm

We recently got four new speedcams installed in my area (Gävle, Sweden). Several people have reported them using the client, but most if not all have reported them while driving. So the speedcams were "all over the place". I deleted all but one cam for each location yesterday, but didn't approve them since I wanted check the cameras in person first.

Tuesday morning I drove there to get accurate locations as well as double check the speed limits, reporting each cam from the client while stationary. Now 30+ hours have passed and my reported speedcams still haven't showed up in the editor. The Dashboard was updated 12.5.2012, 1:51 and my drive from that morning has been updated.

From the wiki at http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Cameras#Adding_Cameras
Once that day's drives have been processed by the Waze servers, the camera will appear in the Map Editor where it can be approved.

First two speedcams:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=17.44703&lat=60.60455&zoom=3&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFT

Middle speedcam:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=17.46887&lat=60.5842&zoom=3&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFT

Last speedcam:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=17.46235&lat=60.56035&zoom=3&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFT

/Andreas
Anlo2846

Re: Reported speedcams missing in editor

Postby Anlo2846 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, the speedcams won't be visible in the client until the tiles have been updated. But my reported speedcams are not visible in the editor. I would rather approve the ones I reported while stationary, instead of the ones visible in the editor now.

/Andreas
Anlo2846

Postby Anlo2846 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 am

Ok, thanks. I'll just wait a few more days then.
Anlo2846

Postby Anlo2846 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am

Thank you davipt, for a reasonable explanation of what's going on. How ironic, that the de-duplication algorithm allows multiple cameras with inaccurate positions but when someone makes an effort to report accurate coordinates, those reports are ignored...

Well, I have now approved the speedcams in their approximate positions so they will show up in the client soon. Not very satisfying results, when you set out to do a top notch job.

/Andreas
Anlo2846

Postby bigbear3764 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm

They have to wait for tile update. Check status page for last update on world server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AM Chicagoland Area
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 pm

my ¢2

there are two things I can see here. One is the issue with the lost drives/lost editing permissions that could be affecting your stuff. I've seen everything happening, from my most common issue of my colleagues not getting the editing permissions (I'm CR it's hard for me to check that myself), whilst myself I've seen lost drives, drives appearing but not the reports, reports appearing but not the drives, etc. But it's been quite stable for the last two or three weeks.

the second one, which I think it's what's happening to you, is that waze ignores camera reports if there is already one nearby, whatever this means. If you deleted every cam but one, your cam report may be ignored because it's too nearby the other one. Of if you deleted everything, it may happen the match is still happening with the deleted ones.

I'd personally suggest that you do both a cam report and a user report, as the user reports should not fail. Then if there is already a cam on the map, just use the report to move it to the right place. Or, honestly, just put the cam more or less where it should be, and just make sure it does overlap the right segment and the red dot is snapped into the segment. The GPS error is big enough, and the warning is early enough to cover some meters.

PS: the multiple cams you saw could have happened because all those users created their own cameras during a short period where no cam existed on the map (the delay of the drives etc.). Or the de-duplication may just kick in as soon as an editor touches one cam. who knows?
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby iainhouse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

In my experience it can take several days - possibly up to a week - for reported speed cameras to appear in the editor. It doesn't seem to be related to the updating of drives, since I've had the relevant drives appear but not the camera.

You could either confirm the single camera you left in each location (now that you have seen exactly where they are) and delete your reported cams when they do appear - or wait for your ones to appear and then confirm them.

Then, as bigbear3764 said, they'll appear on the client after the next update.
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Return to Waze Map Editor