Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Best practice for 90 degree corners?

Post by elness
I've seen (and used) a variety of approaches for implementing ordinary L-shaped (90 degree) residential street corners, from a single junction or node at the exact intersection of the two perpendicular streets, up to 6 or 7 or even more nodes, usually to smooth out the geometry to follow the physical curvature of the actual corner.

What I've settled on myself is to use a three-node corner, with one node on each of the two streets located where the inner curb starts to curve, and with the third node (or junction, if the streets are not the same) located midway between them such that the angles between them are roughly the same (such that each segment is about 30 degrees offset from its neighbors). I think three-node corners are a reasonable trade-off between representing the actual street geometry in the Waze client app, and the client and server resources used for rendering streets and calculating routes, at least where the corners are not large sweeping curves with bigger radii.

Here's a concrete example (no pun intended) of what I tend to do nowadays:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

Can you experts chime in on how you prefer to handle such corners? I'm still a relative newbie at editing maps, but trying to learn all of the best practices as I go...

Thanks in advance!
elness

POSTER_ID:640936

Send a message
elness
AM for Manteca/Lathrop, California
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I try to do right-angles with no geometry nodes whenever possible. It's simpler and in the app, visually, there is little difference as the app removes geometry nodes to simplify and speed up the rendering process (look at roundabouts).

But if the corner has a very large radius, I have been known to do some rounding. The single geometry node on either side with the junction in between (3 angles) is my typical solution. There have been some "corners" which need more, but those are rare.

Second rule of Waze mapping: simplicity. Don't make a bunch of tweaky geometry just to look pretty in the editor. No one will notice anywhere else and functionally, works the same. And functionality is the first rule. If the same functionality is achieved in both cases, you always go with simple.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Improperly Formed Multi-level Quote wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I don't think you would get a TTS turn instruction at that corner, even with the 90 degree angle and the change of name. It's an "only continuation" situation.
I agree. My comment was in reply to
WeeeZer14 wrote:If you want people to be told to turn there, keep it at 90 degrees.
Correct. If there is only one way to go, there is no turn instruction, regardless of angle. That goes for neighborhoods and other places where it is important to give a turn/keep instruction, such as a 2-way running up into a 1-way and you want to give the driver a keep right/left instruction for safety due to ambiguity of the intersection. The only way to do this is to be kludgy, such as having a very short segment of 2-way extend beyond the branched road so Waze sees there is a possibility of continuing straight, which it will never choose due to the next turn restriction and 1-way road penalty.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by jasonh300 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to fix bad quoting markup...oh well
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dmcconachie
I wouldn't expect to be told to turn at a corner like that though! It doesn't really matter in my opinion, I tend to do similar to your 3-node solution but only if I happen to be editing the geometry anyway. I wouldn't go out of my way to add nodes to an already right-angled residential corner like that.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
jasonh300 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I wouldn't expect to be told to turn at a corner like that though! It doesn't really matter in my opinion, I tend to do similar to your 3-node solution but only if I happen to be editing the geometry anyway. I wouldn't go out of my way to add nodes to an already right-angled residential corner like that.
I don't think you would get a TTS turn instruction at that corner, even with the 90 degree angle and the change of name. It's an "only continuation" situation.
I agree. My comment was in reply to
WeeeZer14 wrote:If you want people to be told to turn there, keep it at 90 degrees.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by elness
Great advice from everyone -- thanks for your collective input!

WeeZer14 said:
WeeeZer14 wrote:...Also be sure you have looked at the Junction Style Guide in the wiki which has other discussions about angles.
Reviewing the JSG again, I did not see anything covering this particular use case, at least not explicitly. Seems to me that a subsection could be added under the Surface Streets section, mentioning the simplicity of the one node/junction solution, and the fact that the map rendering, routing behavior, and TTS instructions don't benefit at all from the excess nodes.

Think of the billions of unnecessary nodes which could be prevented! The countless instances of carpal tunnel syndrome which may be avoided!
elness
Send a message
elness
AM for Manteca/Lathrop, California
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by jasonh300
I would make that one a 90 degree corner with only one geometry node. Anything beyond that is a waste of time, and it's not going to make any difference in the client display.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
dmcconachie wrote:I wouldn't expect to be told to turn at a corner like that though! It doesn't really matter in my opinion, I tend to do similar to your 3-node solution but only if I happen to be editing the geometry anyway. I wouldn't go out of my way to add nodes to an already right-angled residential corner like that.
I don't think you would get a TTS turn instruction at that corner, even with the 90 degree angle and the change of name. It's an "only continuation" situation.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
If you want people to be told to turn there, keep it at 90 degrees. All smoothing does is lessen the chance people will be told that the name of the road they are on changes.

Also be sure you have looked at the Junction Style Guide in the wiki which has other discussions about angles.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
jasonh300 wrote:I don't think you would get a TTS turn instruction at that corner, even with the 90 degree angle and the change of name. It's an "only continuation" situation.
You may be right. So we are down to just simplicity then. KISS.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator