Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Curios W in the Map

Post by
Hi,

I have made some screenshots about a curios W on the map in my area.
Every day I use waze this W is presented at the map, not at the same point. It seems it moves with me..... I have tryed to find it on the map editor, but theres no chance to catch it.

Screenshots:

https://www.box.com/shared/3nwvu5qq93t250xgf1my

How to find it?

POSTER_ID:1129543

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It looks like an error an editor made recently, but perhaps has since been fixed on the editor but since it takes about a week or so after the editor change was made, the client may not yet reflect the state of the edit map. If you go to the editor and look in the area where that W seems to be coming from, you may be able to find it.

Alternately. the W may be assigned to segments rather far apart and this W is floating around in the area between the two (or more). Using the highligher script tool (See editor forum sticky thread), you can try using it to highlight segments belonging to that city name. It may take a while to find...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I added some roads in my area and accidentally did the 'w' thing instead of the full city name (damn you WME bug not allowing a mouse click to select the menu item!). That was on Thursday of last week. Today, Monday, I see the 'w' on the map already, which means 1) I'm an idiot, and 2) the city layer updated over the weekend?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbwiddis wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread but better than posting a new one.

I'm currently trying to figure out the source of this L in Las Vegas that's always showing on my map.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lon ... TTTTTTTTFT

What the "L"? :D
Turning on the city layer will show you the smudged area. It looks like you fixed it in late January perhaps. But the L and smudge will not go away until Waze fixes a bug which causes incorrect city labels and shading to not disappear.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbwiddis wrote:I started with a small experiment and after a few iterations have now successfully "herded" the Las Vegas "L", the Henderson "H", and the Paradise "P" smudges out of the middle of populated areas and into desert wasteland on the edge of my 4-mile editing boundary. :) Maybe they'll eventually go away from there...
Wow, you are patient! :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbwiddis wrote:Now patience would be dragging all 3 letters, currently separated by about 30-40 miles, around to be in the same spot, adding an Enterprise "E", and spelling out HELP... :D :D
:lol:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbwiddis wrote:Is there a particular form we fill in to fix them?
Nope. http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... to_Waze.3F should do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbwiddis wrote:Actually it looks like there is a form:
To change name of a city / merge cities/ City Name Smudges fix please fill up the form: http://tinyurl.com/changeCity
Nope. Not the form. This has been removed from nanorep.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
It's a secret code, it you circumnavigate the globe clockwise and collect all the letters and put them in as your destination it unlocks the entrances to all the Stonecutter's roads.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Just in case it helps track things down any. I found one possible of the Ohio M. Wright Brothers Airport in Miamisburg was named "Dayton - Wright Brothers Airport" with a city of "M". I know there was some weirdness caused by turning on the address fields on landmarks, perhaps one got autopopulated with the single character city names. (Which also explains why I couldn't find it by highlighting roads with a city name of M or W).

Just found some more. Looks like the single chars are on the landmarks (I've found 6 so far, all in Miamisburg).

(I definitely should have paid more attention to jemay's post as I just figured out what was already known.)
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by CBenson
dbwiddis wrote:Seems to me it would be easier to fix the underlying bug of cities displaying when no segments have their name... automated db clean...
It seems that this exactly what waze is trying to do rather than using the form for this issue.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902