Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Changes to Editor - New Automatic Detected Problem

Post by
Seems like something changed in the editor.

There seems to be a new Automatic Detected Problem " Most users did not follow the suggested route".

All of a sudden i have hundreds pop up in my AM area (NYC, Long Island).

Did we know this was coming?

Anyway, no time to waste. Time to start resolving some problems.

MD

POSTER_ID:71334

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The new problem has been documented in the wiki for a few weeks now.

And yes, the ones we find on the map now are likely to be fairly old issues. When first released to test, I did find several which were helpful in finding incorrect turn restrictions.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:This brings up an age old question: How to handle left turns that may be difficult/impossible at certain times of the day?
This new map problem doesn't change the guidance for handling time-based restricted turns. What it does do is perhaps identify these in the editor as a system-detected problem rather than a user-submitted problem.

There is discussion right now in another thread(s?) about changing the recommendation on how to handle restricted turns. The last I read was some more folks leaning towards restricting across the board rather than doing any kind of time-based volume-affeted analysis and picking the one which impacts majority traffic flow the least.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:These aren't time restricted turns. They're perfectly legal instructions, just hard to follow. My preference would be to close these as solved and not change anything, however I feel we may need to put something in the Wiki to refer new users to. I expect with this new auto-generated problem we'll find a lot of legal turns restricted in order to "solve" the problems.
Ah, I over-analyzed. :)

If Wazers continually get stuck in the back-ups waiting a long time to make a difficult turn, then Waze will eventually have that data and be less likely to give that turn instruction at the times of day where it finds traversing that segment-to-segment pair is very slow. I say let the data do the work.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:You are assuming they'll get backed up there, vs saying "This won't work" and making a right turn causing this error to be generated.
If it's a dangerous or unadvisable turn, that suggests this is due to lots of traffic you are trying to cross. You mentioned "4-6 lanes" before, so yes, I assume this means the driver may be waiting for a good length of time before being able to cross safely.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CrackedLCD wrote:Is this feature only in certain areas so far? I zoomed out just a little while ago and didn't see any new errors beyond the existing ones on locked roads that I cannot fix and are leaving for Level 5s in the area to handle.

I find it hard to believe we're totally error free in my region, but it would kinda awesome if it were true. There's some hard working editors around here who've really made these roads shine over the last six months or so.
The error is going to be prevalent in high-traffic areas due to statistical reasons. The same goes for almost all problems and update requests. Where there is more Wazer density there will be more update requests and problems.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:There's still the uncertainty of whether the node transit time is learned only if the transit happens. If the turn is never taken during the difficult high-traffic times, it may never collect the data needed as what happens when it doesn't have data for that ToD slot but it does for other times of the day?

This is something we should bring up at the next meet if it isn't answered clearly enough before then.
I agree that if no one takes it, it can't get the data, which is why I often recommend taking that obnoxious route a few times and let Waze gather the data.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
outtolunch wrote: How do you clear the cache? I was working on an area with quite a few problems, but they just disappeared when I fixed one of them.
This is clearing your browser cache. It's a function in settings or prefs or tools, depending on your browser.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
mdqueenz wrote:Seems like something changed in the editor.

There seems to be a new Automatic Detected Problem " Most users did not follow the suggested route".

All of a sudden i have hundreds pop up in my AM area (NYC, Long Island).

Did we know this was coming?

Anyway, no time to waste. Time to start resolving some problems.

MD
It's been in the beta for a while now... Did not know it was being pushed out to the live editor - and didn't see them in WME when I checked the map at 2am on my way to work...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
mdqueenz wrote:Sure helps in detecting errors. Picks up on tons of stuff that is incorrect, yet drivers don't ever report it.

MD
I agree and overall the feedback from the beta was great, there were a handful of bugs that had to be worked out...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
mdqueenz wrote:What does the number in the bubble represent (in the driver's actual route)? Is it the number of times that instruction has been ignored?
The number of drivers that went that way - sometimes you will get two (or more) green lines that didn't follow the instructions but went different ways... For example, Waze said "turn left", 8 drivers went straight & 3 turned right...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager