Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Editor Version Dec 19th Official Feedback Thread

Post by
Hi guys,

We released today a new version of the Editor:

What's new?

* New problem type: "suggested route frequently ignored": this new problem locates places where many users didn't follow Waze's instructions and therefore we assume that something's wrong there.
When selecting this problem - you'll notice a purple line representing Waze's suggested route and green lines representing the routes selected by the users + a number of users who selected this route.
* improved map problems and UR look
* UK and US now using imperial system in speed cams and archived routes
* Default city in new landmarks based on location
* Roundabout radius is limited to 100 meters.
* We deployed a new limit to massive editing due to misusage of extended tools by some abusers.
This new limit doesn't block you from performing the massive edit (based on your permissions of course) but only 150 edits per save will be granted with points and calculated for ranks.

clarifications:
How do we count edits for points and editing-ranks (those you see in the dashboard)?
we count the number of objects that have been edited within one "Save".
An object can be count only once in 24 hours.

That means that a user who used ET to edit a city containing 1000 segments, then selected again the same city -and had saved again - will be credited for 150 edits only.

What's an object?
segment
node
landmark
camera
update request
map problem
city (create new)
street (create new)

Please feel free to share your feedback here!

Thanks,

Shirli

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message
Last edited by shirlig on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed thread title and stickied

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:
Parithosh wrote:Are the URs now represented with a 'broken image icon'? or is it just my computer playing games? :?
Force a hard refresh of the editor or clear your cache and reload. That's what fixed it for me.
Any time the editor version changes, it is advised to clear your browser content cache, and even cookies if you can stand it. Files which change sometimes do not always get loaded from the source reliably.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
McCracken808 wrote:
shawndoc wrote:The problem is the pin is placed directly on the junction, making it impossible to actually click on the junction. Even zoomed all the way in, I can't select the junction because the pin is in the way.

Turn off Problems layer.
This was brought up during testing and Waze didn't change it as requested. Turning off the Problems layer with Shift+m is a pretty quick and easy workaround.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:Just a heads up, all, about the nature of the 'route ignored' URs, as well...

Some of the history for these goes back at LEAST a couple weeks. One UR in Tukwila, WA I solved was Waze showing an ignored route onto a street that I moved/fixed on December 4, because a new road opened. I would guess that once this first round of them is dealt with, new ones will probably use more recent data. Just be careful of what Waze thinks it's routing onto to see if it wasn't already addressed some days/weeks ago.
Many of them are significantly older than that. This feature was enabled in the beta a few weeks ago. I have found "driven" and "requested" routes over roads which are moved in the editor or don't exist any longer. Based on what I've seen, some of these problems are over 2 months old. Not all, but many.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Timbones wrote:(The callback to aboutToLoseChanges() is missing from window.onbeforeunload).
Jeez. You know, if they released what we had been testing, simple bugs like this wouldn't make it into the public release. After all this time, their testing/release methodology is still so immature.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette might be able to answer in more detail about how objects are affected by turn restriction changes. My understanding is that a single turn restriction change updates both the parent segment and the junction which "connects" them. However, changing another turn restriction on another connected segment will no longer count as another edit for the junction, because that object was already modified. An edit constitutes all changes to an object. Changing geometry, updating name and changing turn restrictions for a segment all count as a single edit. It's been that way for quite some time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
MiltH wrote:They've really screwed up something now. Going to the editor starts with a page with nothing but this:
Did you clear your browser cache?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The new method of zooming in and leaving the nasty pixelated version of the previous viewport is very distracting. The images sometimes stay onscreen like this between 3-10 seconds, which is way too long. It's as if WME code changed as well as caching algorithms as the road layer image loading is very poor now. Before the Dec 19 release, this type of image was almost never seen. Now, it's every zoom. And, this was never tested in beta. Please stop releasing untested code.

http://imageshack.us/a/img829/7554/zoomissue1.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/4957/zoomissue2.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/8291/zoomissue3.th.jpg
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:I keep getting images that look like someone spray painted the roads on. Any redrawing after a major zoom in or zoom out takes forever and often requires a reload just to get things to load.
Yes, I get that too, but not nearly as much as the road layer problems.

Part of me wants to blame Waze, but since they are just supposed to pass the virtualearth URL for the sat images, I wonder why this isn't working now. You'd think that would be a network or virtualearth issue, but the coincidence with the editor release is too strong.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbrightwell wrote:More confusing is this error...
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-88.97 ... TTTTTTTTFT
Waze recommends a turn where this is no street on the map. So there are no turn restrictions to address. How do I deal with this?
Please read this whole thread, as the age of these new Map Problems, as Andy mentions, has already been discussed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:Another thing about these new MPs. They were visible to everyone in the sandbox prior to them even being released in the Beta (early November). It's possible that some editors, like me, started working on them before they hit the regular editor, but had no way of closing them in the sandbox.
I closed them in the beta, but you're right, if in the sandbox, an editor could see the problem, log in and take the action.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message