The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Red segments

Post by txemt
I have a question about the roads people pave using the app that show up on the editor. Is it better to delete one of those segments if it was all over the place, rather than try to straighten them out, or should we attempt to straighten them out? I had one which was all over the place and decided to just go ahead and delete it and draw a new road segment which would be straight.

I know, based on experience, that the app picks up the slightest turn of the wheel when paving roads, and I think that is what this guy was doing. He paved the roads, then went down each dead end to get all of the road. If the cops saw the paved segment on the editor, they'd believe he was drunk. I know those segments don't have a whole lot of road data on them, so I was just wondering. I don't have a permalink for this because I had already fixed everything, but I wanted to get someone else's take on it.
txemt

POSTER_ID:8943870

Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by AndyPoms
Paving is no longer the preferred method of creating roads - using the "My Drives" tab is. That said, if the paving is a mess (which is usually is), most of the time it's just easier to delete it all and redraw it or try to merge it into one segment and go from there. I prefer the first method, because there have been problems in the past with paved roads making it to the client after they've been completed...

From a user's perspective, they still get the points from the actual paving & they have a road in the client in an update cycle or two, what do they care how it got there? I usually leave good paving (i.e. an actual road; not the user who paves from their parking space into the mall, around the mall and back to their car) around for a few days to give the user a chance to finish the road off themselves.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bz2012
I recommend that you select and delete all the extra nodes and any segments that are pure junk.
Connect the remaining segments and make sure that they are properly named and the type set correctly.
Be sure and name the city and street or check the 'no name' boxes, otherwise the segments stay red and no routing is done over them.

If they are recent creations or recently edited, I usually PM the creator or editor and send them a message something like this:
bz2012 wrote:Good to see someone ''fixing stuff" in the XXX area.

I noticed some 'red roads' such as this one:
I thought that you may want to fix these, since it shows that you have recently edited them.

See:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... me_or_city

It will tell you HOW to fix them, and why.

Hint: city and street name MUST be given OR the no name boxes checked!
Otherwise, the streets (even IF connected to other streets) will not be routed.
In this case, the 'paved' streets are NOT connected nor named so they are not being used.

Thanks for the many WAZE you help.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
Well, each such paved road would have multiple segments in it. I recommend picking one segment, extending it to draw the street and delete the unused paved segments.

You could also do it the other way by deleting all paved segments, then laying a brand new road, but then why have the feature if all we are going to do is delete the paved segments?

Furthermore, the Wazer who paved the segment would most likely come in the WME to look at his handiwork. So its up to you to impress him or disappoint him. :smile:

I always use paved segments.

Chris

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by txemt
I did use some of the red segments for other roads in the neighborhood the user did not go through, but it's all fixed up and looks purdy. It's all named with the city (or lack of city for those areas), has street names attached. I don't like red in my cities, so I'm pretty good at fixing them. There are 3 red segments in Mexico just across the river from Brownsville that are bugging the shit out of me, but I can't do anything about them, because they're out of my area. Oh well.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.