Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by twist3r
cptpalmer wrote:Where in the wiki is the new documentation? I can not find it.
http://world.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Ho ... the_Editor
twist3r
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by twist3r
So it seems that there are already few countries where only numbers will not be sufficient for a proper address. And I'm sure there are others too ...
twist3r
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by twist3r
I get that and somehow I can understand.
My question is why Waze didn't started with numeral and non numeral from the scratch. In terms of developing something like this from scratch it is really no difference.
I see how starting with only numeral system and then after a while some guy from a remote country starts to cry about not having non numeral characters could be a pain in the a**.
But Waze should have thought this from the beginning and start develop with this in mind. As a developer myself I don't see how starting with both numeral and non numeral system would have been more difficult for a developer. It is really no difference.

Anyway it's a little bit late for that but it's really a shame that such an important feature is released and I can't take any advantage of it. And more than that, it will be a shame when I will see confusion between new editors asking why they can't enter a correct address number. And the final user will sense that too because when you're expecting an app to do something, you really expect to do it properly. In my town going to number 18a on a street and going to 18g it is really not the same thing.

I'm even starting to consider not to add any number on those streets with letters in their address because will lead only to many angry users. And it is really not why I take my time to edit Waze maps. And it was always my belief that instead of a really bad data it's better with no data. That way the user will inform himself from another source. Just my thoughts, I hope nobody will see me as a really annoying guy for what I've wrote :)
twist3r
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by twist3r
I think that was the old system that was available until two months ago. I know that in January I was able to enter the start number and end number for a segment.

This is a totally new system from what I have read. So that made sense from the old system not for the actual one that is going to be implemented.
twist3r
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by twist3r
Great, let the chaos begin. And it was a little bit weird to see that the Waze took time to change restriction arrows (I don't know what was wrong with the older ones) but such an important thing like to be able to enter a proper address was left out of it. Nice update
twist3r
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
And FYI Waze is NOT only thinking of the US in this approach -- there are many places in the US that have non-numeric addresses as well. One is Queens NY (where I was born) which has 2.2 million people and would be the 4th largest city in the US if it wasn't part of New York City. Addresses there are in the form 123-45 where 123 is the cross street and 45 is the house number.

And just about every city has in-fill properties that end up with an 'A' or a half suffix. Like between 8 and 10 would be 8A or 8 1/2.

Why did Waze start that way? Because they originally wanted to be able to define the first and last address on a segment and let the system fill in the blanks. That works easily with numeric values but falls apart for non-numerics.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
We've gone from specific address points to ranges and back to specific points again over the years actually. But even with the specific points I understood the idea was to be able to figure out what was between points as well if every address was not entered.

In the end it doesn't matter why -- they were lazy and only planned for numbers. They realize that will need to change, but we need to live with it until then.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by Wolfeye
shirlig wrote:Hi guys,

We'd like to change the house numbers mechanism in WME from editing by ranges to editing pinpoints.

As we can't work on the new mechanism while the old one is active, we will need to temporarily remove the house numbers section from the editor.

We will start working on it in the upcoming days and we estimate that it will take about a month to reactivate house numbers in its new format.

We will provide a 24 hours notice before it's removed.

Thanks,

Shirli
So when is this going to start? There is of course a couple more "upcoming days" ahead...
I believe that there's no idea to add house numbers now with the old system? Or can you somehow import them to the new system?
Wolfeye
Send a message

Post by wroadd
Public informations that we have from Bratislava meeting:
-geo-location coded house numbers
-handling of the non-numeric characters
wroadd
Send a message
Waze Global Champ, (Re)tired
Hardware: Oukitel U22 & iPhone 7
Car: Soca Octavia : red