The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

On ramps

Post by txemt
How are on ramps and off ramps from roads other than interstates? I've been naming the off-ramp "Exit to Main St" and the on-ramp "to US-xx," which it says is the correct way according to the Wiki, but I've been told the Wiki is wrong?
txemt

POSTER_ID:8943870

Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:How are on ramps and off ramps from roads other than interstates? I've been naming the off-ramp "Exit to Main St" and the on-ramp "to US-xx," which it says is the correct way according to the Wiki, but I've been told the Wiki is wrong?
The Wiki is correct. The wiki shows what has been defined as the current U.S. standard for ramp naming.

Bear in mind that US Highways usually have exit numbers when they're limited access and those numbers should be used if they're present on the exit signage. You see this less frequently on limited access state highways, but if they're there on the BGS, use them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
The Wiki is correct. The wiki shows what has been defined as the current U.S. standard for ramp naming.

Bear in mind that US Highways usually have exit numbers when they're limited access and those numbers should be used if they're present on the exit signage. You see this less frequently on limited access state highways, but if they're there on the BGS, use them.
That's what I thought, but I'm being told exits should be labeled "Exit: Main St" and on-ramps "To US-xx." I tried both of those and they don't really work well.
I've seen variations before, and we've experimented with different things, but I've never seen anyone use "Exit: xxx". It sounds like a bad idea, since the : inserts an awkward pause that doesn't belong there. That's why we use "to". I assume this is a new, or inexperienced user, so try to educate them, or point them to this thread.

For the onramps, the T in "to" shouldn't be capitalized. There was a "feature" in the editor a few months back that caused the first letter of every street name to be capitalized, which would've been great, but it caused the "To" to be capitalized, and was eventually removed by the developers specifically to keep that from happening.

I believe the capitalized "To" interferes with the proper working of TTS also, but I can't remember exactly what the problem was. It's probably in the forums somewhere.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:The capitalized "To" makes Waze say "bear left at to u s highway xx" instead of "bear left at u s highway xx" or you can insert an "interstate" in place of "US Highway."
Yes, that's it. The lowercase "to" is silent/ignored in TTS.

However, US-## should be pronounced "You Ess ##", not US Highway. We switched to that standard for ramps because it shortened the time it takes for TTS to blurt out whatever's on the sign. It also takes up less space on the screen and prevents the sometimes-important guide cities on the exit from being truncated due to a lack of space.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The shortened US Highway and State Highway abbreviations (for the actual highways) were deemed acceptable a year ago when Waze told us that they would enable shielding with those abbreviations. However, we were waiting to put that into the Wiki because they never actually enabled the shields...therefore it isn't yet a standard, but at least 8 states have either made the switch or are in the process, by agreement of the senior editors within those states. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and New York. I know there was heavy discussion in several other states, but I haven't kept track of what they're doing.

txemt, you can try to get the other CMs in Texas and the most active AMs to agree to make the change, but it's probably not a good idea to just do that on your own. Everybody has to be on the same page or there will be mass confusion.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
andrewfatcat wrote:Well then you use "to" for I-410 then. It is working fine with using "To" for I-610 in Houston. I hope I was not the one who changed the "to" to "To" for I-410 because I don't remember I did that.
And it is not like me anyway because I don't use abbreviation for directions for ramps.
You may or may not have. As I said, there was a "feature" that was automatically capitalizing everything for a short time, and if you entered a "to xxxxxx" during that period, it automatically capitalized. Unless you went back and specifically looked for it, it's likely you wouldn't have even noticed it, since ramps don't display a name. It wasn't until a tiles update that people started noticing the TTS wasn't behaving and that's when the problem was caught.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
andrewfatcat wrote:Actually I like that feature..... :P
I agree that it would be a good feature except that it broke TTS on the ramps.

If they could get it to ignore ramps, and auto capitalize and strip periods out of the street names, it would be great.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Spil
txemt wrote:I've dropped "highway" from US highways I edit, whether it's in the exit or if it's the actual highway. I've labeled on ramps and off ramps as "Exit to US-xx" and I've labeled US highways "US-xx." I know that they don't produce the shield yet and if I'm understand posts and conversations, that should be fixed soon, so as soon as the fix goes live, then the roads will be ready. It's shorter, also.
The US Wiki states that "US-##" should be used on ramp segments, while "US Hwy xx" should be used on the road segments themselves. However, "US-##" is growing in acceptance as an alternative to "US Hwy xx" in many areas; in New York, for example, we are switching over to using "US-##" on the road segments. One reason is that we are also switching to using "CR-##" on county roads and "SR-##" on state routes, and of course "I-##" (with no space) on interstates; thus, using "US-##" on federal routes helps maintain that continuity, rather than having something different for one road classification.

Bottom line: find out what is acceptable/preferred in the area that you're working and use that -- and when in doubt, follow the Wiki standard.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by txemt
jasonh300 wrote:

That's what I thought, but I'm being told exits should be labeled "Exit: Main St" and on-ramps "To US-xx." I tried both of those and they don't really work well.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
The capitalized "To" makes Waze say "bear left at to u s highway xx" instead of "bear left at u s highway xx" or you can insert an "interstate" in place of "US Highway."
txemt
Send a message