The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by RoyaltyWoody
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Dave, post back if you want a CM to lock the segments.
If they're right, and complete-enough, it would be great to have them locked. But, as a noob, I'm concerned it may not be quite right. I'm still learning... and probably will be for quite some time.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
kentsmith9 wrote:Hey Dave, thanks for jumping into the editing world. We can use more editors in the west bay so keep it up.
My pleasure. I like learning new things. And I also enjoy being helpful. So contributing in this way is a double win for me.
kentsmith9 wrote:I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of returning your changes and the others on the other side of El Camino (from the base map import) so we don't confuse new users.
Don't mind AT ALL!
kentsmith9 wrote:I noticed some turn restrictions on the main parking lot out to Grant Rd that I have not seen when I was there last, so I corrected them. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... s=70646117
If something has changed in that intersection not reflected on the latest map view please correct my error.
The restrictions near the entrance/exit were ones I intentionally "added" - because I've found MOST of the time, even though those turns are technically allowed, the drivers who try to make them create traffic jams, either by physically blocking others or by scaring other drivers who aren't expecting them to jump out in front of them as they're just getting into the lot or trying to catch the signal out of the lot. I suppose you could say, they're restrictions the I think SHOULD be there.
kentsmith9 wrote:Keep up the great work.
Thanks again! I'll do my best to do at least good, if not great work.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Thanks again, Kent, for your patient and helpful explanation.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Another question/request related to this "rabbit trail" that's started here (Parking Lots in Mtn View)

I've added some "main" parking lot roads nearby, to help "capture" the traffic therein from being interpreted by Waze as being part of the regular Street traffic. But, as you can see from this permalink, I was unable to a) save my work in the NW lot if I connected it to El Camino Real (ECR) and b) connect anything to ECR for the two SE lots (due to ECR being locked at a higher level than me.)

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 2,70678020

Also related to Parking Lots and their entrances/egresses... These two (selected in the following permalink) are rather tricky ones. The Southern one is JUST an exit that allows Drivers to turn Right. The (slightly) Northern one is primarily an entrance but can also be used as an exit, again, with no turns to the South. The traffic out and in naturally "crosses", but I don't think it makes sense to "cross" the parking lot roads. With the road not split, is there a better geometry that I could have/should have used? Or should I have left those two completely out (negating some of the objective I mentioned above, of trying to "capture" the traffic.)

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... 3,70678854
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Never mind... the same individual (whom I've never found here on the forums) seems to have deleted my work once again.

I guess I will need to re-do the parking lot outlines and then request a lock on them.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
OK, finished re-doing my work on one of the parking lots. Would one of you higher-level Wazers please lock it down? Thanks in advance!

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-122.0 ... 2,70695726

EDITED well after the fact to add: There is another page to this thread. This HAS BEEN LOCKED. (No need for anyone else to feel stupid. :) )
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by RoyaltyWoody on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by RoyaltyWoody
AndyPoms wrote: ... if it gets deleted again (by a level 5 editor). If it does, there may be evidence as to who did the deletion on the main roads out front (i.e. last modified will change if two segments are merged when a junction is deleted).
I think that's unlikely, as the last time they deleted my work the segments on the main roads were left separate. (I STRONGLY suspect it was another level 1 editor.)
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
kentsmith9 wrote:I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.
Thanks!

At this intersection https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... s=70697762 you cannot just drive across to Oak Ln. The geometry just isn't quite there. You'd either have to drive the wrong way S on Grant before getting into the L turn lane, or go around the median and risk being hit by S-bound traffic on the other side, or drivers turning R out of Oak. ;)

Regarding other segments in this lot ... as I understand the Parking Lot Wiki, it seems like one helpful thing would be to add the lanes that run parallel to ECR in order to "capture" the parking lot traffic so it's not messing with traffic speeds on ECR. It would also be helpful to add the entrance/exit directly onto ECR that's used by both the gas station and the rest of the strip-mall's customers.

One final note: while the gas station is "Coast Gas", in the app it's listed as "Houtan Petroleum". I've never heard of "Houtan" and never found any other (current) source that uses that name. (And my spouse - who's lived in this area for decades - doesn't recall it EVER being called "Houtan".) Now, it's possible that there's a Houtan Petroleum corporation behind Coast Gas. But no Wazer will find a Houtan Petroleum anywhere near that corner.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
kentsmith9 wrote:I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.
Because this segment https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=9&lat ... s=70697758 is locked, the two adjoining segments could not be connected to it, nor have all the turns been allowed.

When that's fixed, (along with the edit mentioned above), I think this lot will be done... enough for now. (Some day, when we've got the rest of the city, county, state, etc. completed, and GPS's are accurate to within 2', we'll undoubtedly have time to get to mapping every parking space. :lol: )
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Spil wrote:
shawndoc wrote:FYI, it now shows locked by me because I'm stupid. :oops:
If you're stupid, you're not the only one. Because the lock request was at the bottom of the page (and I didn't see that there was another page), I went there too ... then when I started to lock it, I saw that Shawn and Jason had both locked those segments, so I didn't bother saving my locks. I did go back in, though, and fixed some soft nodes in the parking lot -- so there are a few there with my name on them as well now. Perhaps when the guy sees locks by three different L5's, he'll start to get a clue about that lot. :lol:
No more worries. I've edited my post on the bottom of pg 2 to note that it'd been locked. Hopefully no one else falls into that trap and feel stupid. ;)
Spil wrote:EDIT: Maybe I can be helpful -- I fixed that intersection that Dave mentioned while I was typing the above. ;)
Thanks!
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message