The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by HandofMadness
Yes, using a Parking Lot landmark will suppress traffic jams in the area.

The benefit of drawing in the parking lot is to give better directions inside a shopping mall/complex to get the driver to the store inside the complex, or to correct problems with Waze routing to an alley/street behind the shopping center.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
bgodette wrote:
gettingthere wrote:I agree that it sounds very unlikely that Wazers driving on the main road, on a route are being snapped to the Parking Lot roads. The Waze application has a very strong snap-to-route.
Except of course when it's suffering from the GPS->Car on map translation table bug that's been present ever since 3.0, and is still in the current betas.
Do you have more details on how/why this happens? Link to a thread where this has been discussed already would be appreciated.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Dave,

One thing you need to go back and check is the turn restrictions throughout this parking lot and the streets it connects to. I'm seeing a lot of red arrows. As long as those are there, the work you've done in the parking lot is mostly useless.

Allowed/Restricted Turns Wiki
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I was just looking at things being nosy and saw an unnecessary geometry node and compulsively deleted it, so that lock shifted over to me.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Okay...to put a stop to this, I'm going to put a Level 5 lock on all of it. Let me know if any turn restrictions are wrong.

EDIT: As far as the UR goes, they probably either have a faulty GPS unit, or they don't have it mounted under the windshield, so they're not getting a good GPS fix, as you said. I eliminated the two entrances closest to the corner, since they really don't add any benefit to the parking lot. This may decrease the chance that they'll stray into the parking lot.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Those URs are probably from the same troll who kept deleting your Parking Lot roads. Unless there's something drastically different there IRL from what the aerials show, there's no way they're getting these errors unless they're using faulty equipment.

Grant Road is not in any way a candidate for splitting since it hardly has a median. You're working on the assumption that there's actually a problem with these URs. Was there a purple track in the UR showing them in the gas station? You could try splitting it, but if the troll leaving the URs is hell-bent on getting the parking lot roads removed, it's not going to fix anything.

If anything should be split, it should be El Camino Real with all those left turns across a median that can get pretty wide. However, there's no problem there that indicates that anything should be changed either.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DaveHolzmann wrote:As for Phyllis Ave. split... mea culpa. That was a (brief) venture I took to try to go beyond the parking lot. It was accepted before I learned the guidelines for not splitting a road. (I had figured, since there was a serious barrier between the two lanes of traffic, it made sense to split it, and clarify where/why side streets/drives would/wouldn't be able to make certain turns. I had not read the Wiki about split roads, and had failed to consider the lack of accuracy of GPS tracking. At this point, it seems like it would be more work to un-split it. And, unless there are any URs that I made errors in allowed/disallowed turns, I wonder if it should be changed.
Hey Dave, thanks for jumping into the editing world. We can use more editors in the west bay so keep it up.

As for split roads, I went down the same path as you in my home town when I started editing. I have since learned some of the pros and cons of split roads and we have a pretty good summary in the Wiki (that I think you have now read). Since I cover this area as well, I often run into new editors who see split roads like this and assume that is the correct style especially if it was edited very recently. Many base map imports in 2009 for the US included split roads where we no longer recommend them, so it is easier to explain to people those roads just have not been converted to dual-lane segments. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of returning your changes and the others on the other side of El Camino (from the base map import) so we don't confuse new users.

I noticed some turn restrictions on the main parking lot out to Grant Rd that I have not seen when I was there last, so I corrected them. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... s=70646117
If something has changed in that intersection not reflected on the latest map view please correct my error.

Keep up the great work.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I also saw them in the parking lot. Most of them are because Dave actually set the traffic direction for the routes that are technically one direction. They all appear to be accurate inside the parking lot. I did not check all of them outside the parking lot.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DaveHolzmann wrote:The restrictions near the entrance/exit were ones I intentionally "added" - because I've found MOST of the time, even though those turns are technically allowed, the drivers who try to make them create traffic jams, either by physically blocking others or by scaring other drivers who aren't expecting them to jump out in front of them as they're just getting into the lot or trying to catch the signal out of the lot. I suppose you could say, they're restrictions the I think SHOULD be there.
Ah. That would explain it. Technically Waze is only focused on what is a legal turn or not. There are rare instances where we set a turn restriction on a legal turn and that is generally around freeway off ramps to on ramps. This stops the routing engine from thinking that is a bypass route when the freeway is jammed.

We have discussed adding the ability to have a turn restriction that supports just what you described. Unfortunately if we left your turn restrictions in that intersection you would see Update Requests from drivers that say it was not allowed. You also get Automated Updates from the system that sees people turning there against your restricted turn.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AndyPoms wrote:I'm really hoping for a PM/forum post from the user asking why it's locked and I'll refer them to this thread and to talk to you.
...and then SNAP...they will be caught in our trap. :twisted:

I did some basic work on your other lot https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT to the protected segments if you want to do some final touch up on it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message