The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Confusing TTS directions in Palo Alto, CA

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Today I took a route (for the 2nd time) heading from 101 S to Oregon Expwy.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... 4,66115529

There are 3 ramp splits on that path.
1) Embarcadero W vs Embarcadero E/Oregon Expwy
2) Embarcadero E vs Oregon Expwy
3) Oregon Expwy vs 101 S

Waze seems to give directions for only two of the splits, skipping the middle one. So, what I heard was something like. "Stay Left for Oregon Expressway." Then as soon as I passed the Embarc. W split, she said, "Stay Right for Oregon Expressway."

The first time I wasn't listening too carefully, and didn't know that I was REALLY looking for Oregon Expwy. I ended up on Embarc. E. and was routed to take all 4 of the cloverleaf ramps before heading back to Oregon.

Today, I knew I was looking for Oregon, so I listened a bit more carefully, and heard only the two directions.

As I've thought about it, I wonder if maybe she's repeating the "Stay Left" direction twice... BEFORE she gets to the first split, leading to the confusion when she says "Stay Right" just before getting to the second split.

My question is: Is there a way to get the verbal directions to correlate better with what I (the Driver) am seeing?

The only thing that comes to my mind would be to map the starting points of the ramps slightly differently to force Waze to give the directions in a properly-timed sequence. But that would (likely) be extremely tricky to figure out... especially if different OS's and devices behave differently, and also taking into consideration the inherent lack of precision of GPS signals.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:12816050

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It may have been a lack of exit angle on the two ramps from the incoming segment. I have now added a minor <22 degree angle from straight on both ramp directions for the whole route. We should see the update in one to two weeks (or sooner), so let us know if you pass through there at that time and it is still not mentioning the route.

Note that one of the segments is unnamed on purpose. The routing engine is supposed to read the next segment based on the navigation route. This permits one segment to provide both an exit name and onramp name based on navigation. You can read more here http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junction_Style_Guide
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by rcenteno_davis
I know that ramp. I can take a look at the editor to see what can be done. I think the difficulty is the distance between the separate ramps. Worth a look.
rcenteno_davis
Send a message
Area Manager: Union City, Fremont, Newark CA
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png