Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Private thoroughfare

Post by timl2k12
I did a search for "Private thoroughfare" and came up with nothing so hear goes. Is there a way to keep waze from routing people through gated communities that have more than one outlet? A user reported a problem because their route was blocked by a gate. I set all the streets behind the gates to "private road" but realize in hindsight I have no idea if that will have any effect on the routing whatsoever.
timl2k12

POSTER_ID:13137504

Send a message
Level 3 Area Manager - Tampa, FL

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dmcconachie
It will/should. That was the correct action to take.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by HandofMadness
Setting the roads to private will prevent Waze from routing people through as a shortcut, however it won't help if the destination is inside the community. For complex's with multiple resident only entrances, and one main entrance for guests/service vehicle you're kinda stuck.

You can restrict the turns into the community at the resident only entrances, and only allow turns at the main/public entrance.

This will route anyone going into the complex through the main entrance, which is great for guests. However expect to get occasional UR's from residents upset that Waze isn't routing them through a shorter route using the resident only gates.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
timl2k12 wrote:I'm not sure I understand, if the destination is inside the community setting the roads to private will create a problem? In this instance there seems to be one "main/public entrance" and one "residence only" entrance.

No, protocol is to set the entire community to Private. The only issue will be with entrances that are restricted to certain people, such as residents only.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by timl2k12
Good to know. Thanks!
timl2k12
Send a message

Post by timl2k12
I'm not sure I understand, if the destination is inside the community setting the roads to private will create a problem? In this instance there seems to be one "main/public entrance" and one "residence only" entrance.
timl2k12
Send a message