Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Transit harming routing information

Post by james8970
In the past, I've been a little worried about how many people are using Waze on transit buses. Upon my city's addition of a BRT line, and routes exclusive to buses, the problem has become very obvious. Lots of people are using Waze on buses.

Today I decided to modify a few transit streets so that their name will inform people that they shouldn't be using Waze on the bus. I believe Waze should create a new transit segment that would eliminate speed data for a trip, if the user were to go onto one of these special roads. Additionally, if the client prompted people about this problem, that would also be helpful.

I figure that such an addition should be fairly simple and ought to improve the data for roads substantially by eliminating bad data and informing users that they are doing something wrong.
James
james8970

POSTER_ID:13477780

Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Let us know how this works. I'd be surprised if they were running routing while on transit, which would give them the instructions as you are trying.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by james8970
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Let us know how this works. I'd be surprised if they were running routing while on transit, which would give them the instructions as you are trying.
I highly doubt they'd be running the routing feature either. My concern lays in transit users uploading poor traffic speed data that could have adverse effects on the routing of other users. This would obviously happen since transit buses stop on a far more frequent basis.
James
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by james8970
heckmandm wrote: These two sources indicate that the best thing would be to update those transit-only sections to the type "Private Road" and disallow all turns onto those roads from other segments. This should keep Waze from routing onto those roads.
I'm aware of that solution, however we have a new BRT line that bypases a significant amount of congested traffic that moves very slowly during rush hour. This BRT line has underpasses (the adjacent traffic does not) and buses travel at 80km/h, rather than the traditional speed of cars that would be moving at 50km/h at the most during rush hour. Due to the vast differences in speed, I feel that making this new BRT transit route has to be disconnected all together to avoid Waze routing traffic down this road. This route is an exception, I have all the other transit routes listed as a private road with all turns disallowed.

My problem is that once the transit buses get back onto the regular roads, the users using Waze will be updating incorrect speed data and messing up the roads. If we had a particular road designated to transit, we could at least eliminate the 'drives' from updating information to waze on road speed, where people had used these roads.
James
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by james8970
I understand that. I was simply proposing that maybe Waze could do something with a new 'transit' road segment, that would notify people that they shouldn't be using Waze when on a bus AND ignore their entire drive if they went on one of these roads, to prevent improper speed data from being uploaded to the server.

Right now, with the changes that I have done, I'm simply hoping that someone will look at the screen and see the name of the street, which will read 'Please Don't Use Waze While on a Bus'. From seeing that, I'm hoping that they'll discontinue further use of Waze while on a bus. Its a long shot, but it might work.
James
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by james8970
Not complicated. Just greater flexibility to add different segment types to existing roads only used by buses. I'm not suggesting that we'd have to add additional roads to the map.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by jasonh300
james8970 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Let us know how this works. I'd be surprised if they were running routing while on transit, which would give them the instructions as you are trying.
I highly doubt they'd be running the routing feature either. My concern lays in transit users uploading poor traffic speed data that could have adverse effects on the routing of other users. This would obviously happen since transit buses stop on a far more frequent basis.
James
The problem is that the only way they're going to get your message is if navigation is running.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jmp316
Sounds complicated. In Chicago, buses use city streets only. I agree that using waze on a bus messes with traffic data a bit, but adding more roads (at least in Chicago) would be completely a bad option. Maybe in other areas this would work better...
jmp316
Send a message

Post by MrFoosh
Hi James! I wasn't really sure on how to handle that situation either so I did some research in the Map Best Editing Practices wiki and in the boards. This post (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=26115) seems to be similar to your situation of transit-only roads.

These two sources indicate that the best thing would be to update those transit-only sections to the type "Private Road" and disallow all turns onto those roads from other segments. This should keep Waze from routing onto those roads.

I'm still a fairly new editor myself, so if anyone cares to chime in on that please do.

Happy Wazing,
Derek
MrFoosh
Send a message