At first my feeling was not to split that road, but having looked at it in more detail I think it actually qualifies to be split for the following reasons:
1. There are no points other than intersections where you can cross the median.
2. While the GPS tracks at 100m generally don't show a gap, they most certainly are wide enough to show significant breadth.
3. There are places where the road is actually 12 lanes wide between the north and south directions.
4. It is an Expressway marked as a Minor Highway (which I believe is appropriate). There are very few connections to the road from cross streets that are not full intersections.
5. We do have legal U-turns that are not being allowed. As mentioned the Mapcat Bowtie would work great if we split the road.
Even if we had legal U-Turns I would recommend this road being split based on the above criteria. Note that a few of the cross streets to Lawrence are currently split and do NOT qualify to stay split, but that is another discussion.