Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Road splitting qualifications

Post by rcenteno_davis
Just wanted to get some opinions. There is a UR in this area about the U-turn being allowed. However since the road is not split, there is no easy way to change the map to allow the turn.

But looking at this area some more, I believe Lawrence Expressway fits the qualifications to be split.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=70598247

But given it's such a long road, is it really, really, worth the effort to split?
rcenteno_davis

POSTER_ID:9098174

Send a message
Area Manager: Union City, Fremont, Newark CA
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by harling
txemt wrote:If you know how to do it right, the first time, it'll take you 10 minutes to split it. :)
However, before you split a perfectly good two-way road, let's find out if/when Waze plans to implement proper U-turn routing on two-way roads, and consider holding off until then. (It appears to be planned, though details are not yet forthcoming.)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jemay
harling wrote:However, before you split a perfectly good two-way road, let's find out if/when Waze plans to implement proper U-turn routing on two-way roads, and consider holding off until then. (It appears to be planned, though details are not yet forthcoming.)
Us non-champs are not able to view that thread...
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by kentsmith9
At first my feeling was not to split that road, but having looked at it in more detail I think it actually qualifies to be split for the following reasons:
1. There are no points other than intersections where you can cross the median.
2. While the GPS tracks at 100m generally don't show a gap, they most certainly are wide enough to show significant breadth.
3. There are places where the road is actually 12 lanes wide between the north and south directions.
4. It is an Expressway marked as a Minor Highway (which I believe is appropriate). There are very few connections to the road from cross streets that are not full intersections.
5. We do have legal U-turns that are not being allowed. As mentioned the Mapcat Bowtie would work great if we split the road.

Even if we had legal U-Turns I would recommend this road being split based on the above criteria. Note that a few of the cross streets to Lawrence are currently split and do NOT qualify to stay split, but that is another discussion. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
At 100M there is a noticeable gap in GPS from the HWY down to Monroe St. It is a candidate for splitting and then you can mapcat bowtie that intersection to allow the U. I wouldn't normally split it if there are no URs that pop up indicating routing issues, but since there is a U-turn allowed you can split it from the HWY to Monroe with no problems to allow the U-turns where it is allowed.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by TruckOttr
I recommend not splitting the road.
TruckOttr
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... d-0200.pnghttps://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... ones-4.png
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)

Post by txemt
If you know how to do it right, the first time, it'll take you 10 minutes to split it. :)
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
jemay wrote:
harling wrote:However, before you split a perfectly good two-way road, let's find out if/when Waze plans to implement proper U-turn routing on two-way roads, and consider holding off until then. (It appears to be planned, though details are not yet forthcoming.)
Us non-champs are not able to view that thread...
I don't think it's a thread, I think it's a topic to be discussed at the meeting in March.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
TruckOttr wrote:I recommend not splitting the road.
Why not? There's a median in the middle that prevents users from turning onto side streets.
txemt
Send a message