The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

House numbers

Post by tiagobt
I have a few questions about house numbers in Waze. A while ago, I updated the map with the house numbers I use most often (home, work, etc.). However, if I search the live map for the exact numbers I inserted, Waze seems unable to find them. There are a few thing I don't understand:
  • Why is Waze unable to find the exact numbers I inserted?
  • What address format am I supposed to use in the search field? For example, the usual format in the United States is "house number + street name", whereas most people in Brazil use "street name + house number" (sometimes with a comma after the street name). Are both formats accepted?
  • I assume users are not expected to insert every single house number in the map. It would be reasonable if Waze made some kind of interpolation to estimate the unknown numbers between the numbers which were manually inserted. Does that happen at all? To what extend (single road segments or complete streets)?
Thanks for the clarifications,
Tiago
tiagobt

POSTER_ID:99788

Send a message

Post by tiagobt
Thanks for the answer, svache. I read all the posts, and now I know that house numbers can have two colors: blue (approved and valid) or red (invalid). The ones I inserted are red, so Waze thinks they are invalid for some reason. However, in most cases, there is just one house number in the entire street, so there's no reason to tag them as illogical. This really looks like a bug.

There's one thing I still don't understand. What is the scope of this consistency analysis? Does Waze only try to check numbers in the same segment? Or does it try to check numbers in the whole street? If the latter is true, how does it know that two segments belong to the same street? The street name has to be identical and the direction has to be the same?

Thanks again,
Tiago
tiagobt
Send a message

Post by tiagobt
I found something interesting. I tried to edit one of the house numbers I had inserted (which was red). I noticed that the "Suggested Street Name" was filled in, but the "Street Name" was empty. I decided to fill the "Street Name" and save my changes. The "Street Name" didn't get saved properly (it remains empty), but the house number turned white instantaneously. What does that mean? Is the number still "under analysis"? Is Waze trying to check it again just because I updated the number somehow?
tiagobt
Send a message

Post by TK80866
Hiya!

I think this topic: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3744 might be able to give you some explanation of the house number issue.

As for your question about the numbers+name or name+numbers, that doesn't seem to matter. They also use the app in Europe and they use a name+number system, just like Brazil :)
TK80866
Send a message
Had a lot of outdated stuff here.. I should be more active, I guess ;)

Post by WeeeZer14
If you open a red house number and just simply hit save it will turn white. Cartouche treats that as you have verified the data as correct.

The issue has been that somehow the back end keeps overriding what we say and turns it back to the red, unverified state in a day or two.

I am also confused about the Street vs. Suggested Street fields.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator