Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby jentdrive » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

I was routed on a service road (an alleyway on the backside of houses on two parallel streets), and it seems obvious to me that service roads shouldn't be used for directions. Sure, show them on the map, but don't route drivers on them. What do you think?
jentdrive
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 pm

If a road truly should not be used for routing, it is best to make it a private road or possibly a parking lot road.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2353 times

Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Private road or parking lot is what Alleys should be sent to. However the primary issue is that the GPS location of the address is that closer to the alleyway that it is to the main road. With the current set up for Routing, Waze will always route to the closest spot on the closest segment to the GPS coordinate return by Bing.

The next iteration of the math editor gives us more granular control over the address location natively with inside Waze, and this should help with this situation of navigating to alleys instead of to the Street location.

Service Road, since you use that phrase, is a completely different type of road and have a specific use.


Tapatalk made me do it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23621
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4849 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby jentdrive » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Sorry, I described it as a service road because that's what it was designated in the Waze editor. It is indeed an alleyway, so I marked the road in this specific case as a private road.

On this topic, would it make more sense to make alleyways and private roads a different color or size? Perhaps slightly smaller and grayer?
jentdrive
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

No need to apologize, just making sure we were clear on what we were talking about. Changing into private road will indeed change the routing around it but it will not change the routing if an address, or final destination location, is physically closer to the alley than the main street. Until we have the ability for all editors to adjust addresses, and we make those changes in the editor, and the Waze routing or search algorithm starts to use the native address location, the routing to the final destination will not change.


Tapatalk made me do it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23621
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4849 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 am

Unnamed parking lot road is the preference of most. That will surpress traffic jam reporting if someone goes slow through there.

Also, service road is NOT an alley. It is a road which is parallel to a highway or major road that lets you get to businesses and residences that face the major road. This point admittedly isn't very clear to many.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby bgodette » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:Unnamed parking lot road is the preference of most. That will surpress traffic jam reporting if someone goes slow through there.

Also, service road is NOT an alley. It is a road which is parallel to a highway or major road that lets you get to businesses and residences that face the major road. This point admittedly isn't very clear to many.
And is about to become irrelevant as the type is going away.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 539 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby edsonajj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 am

bgodette wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Unnamed parking lot road is the preference of most. That will surpress traffic jam reporting if someone goes slow through there.

Also, service road is NOT an alley. It is a road which is parallel to a highway or major road that lets you get to businesses and residences that face the major road. This point admittedly isn't very clear to many.
And is about to become irrelevant as the type is going away.


What???? :o We have used this road type extensively in México with great success... What is going to happen to all the roads that are classified as Service Roads and what will be the new way of handling them?
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm
Location: México
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 1034 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 am

edsonajj wrote:
bgodette wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Unnamed parking lot road is the preference of most. That will surpress traffic jam reporting if someone goes slow through there.

Also, service road is NOT an alley. It is a road which is parallel to a highway or major road that lets you get to businesses and residences that face the major road. This point admittedly isn't very clear to many.
And is about to become irrelevant as the type is going away.


What???? :o We have used this road type extensively in México with great success... What is going to happen to all the roads that are classified as Service Roads and what will be the new way of handling them?

They will be reassigned to the "Street" type.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 7223
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 1331 times

Re: Waze shouldn't give service roads for directions

Postby edsonajj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 am

AndyPoms wrote:
edsonajj wrote:
bgodette wrote:]And is about to become irrelevant as the type is going away.


What???? :o We have used this road type extensively in México with great success... What is going to happen to all the roads that are classified as Service Roads and what will be the new way of handling them?

They will be reassigned to the "Street" type.

And I assume that it will be considered the new correct way to handle frontage roads?
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm
Location: México
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 1034 times

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher