Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CBenson
Yes, I do believe that this is an approach that should be used where appropriate. Seems like broader discussion in the Editing forum is warranted.

Surprised about the silence for multiple unnamed segments. Is that something that should be raised with waze as a bug?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'm not following the issue here. If you are traveling from W H1 Fwy to E H3 Fwy, then you should first get an "Exit right at Exit 18B: E H3 Fwy / E H201 Fwy / Kanoehe / Honolulu" instruction and then a "Stay to the left at E H3 Fwy / Kaneohe" instruction. Is this not what happens? These instructions show on the nav list on my phone if I route through there.

If you are traveling from W H1 Fwy to E H201 Fwy, then you get the first instruction but no keep right. Because you are staying on the same road type (and the other option changes road type) the right is the best continuation and doesn't receive a turn instruction. If you want instructions for both directions its best for them to be the same road type.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'd being interested is seeing examples where the small angles don't give instructions. I've always received instructions here and here for example. It would be interesting to see what is different (other than the INTL/NA difference).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Nacron wrote:How is it that this junction works fine

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 5,61214733

but the other example does not?
Because in this junction there is no best continuation as both exit segments are freeway type.

On the other, one and only one exit segment has the same road type (ramp) as the entering segment. Thus the ramp segment is the best continuation and does not receive a turn instruction.
vickimachado wrote:But my recollection from an earlier test is that the ramp leading to the E-H201 gets no prompt -- I'm guessing because there's no "turn." I tweaked a geometry node where it pulls away, and after the next update, I'll check it. Meantime, no harm, no foul.
Its the road type, you need follow the instructions in the wiki for wayfinder instructions if you want directions for both sides of a split.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I didn't see the angle to cause the turn instruction. The turn seems to be back to no instruction.
It does seem to be true that you can prompt a turn instruction by making the angle of deflection over 45 degrees at any intersection, but to get the "keep/stay/exit" instructions requires adjusting the road types as set forth in the wayfinders section of the wiki.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I think you need the 15m unnamed ramp segment on the branch to E H3.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I've never fully understood how the short segments affect the directional times. It would seem to me that the same problem would occur in distinguishing left turns from straight through movements at a split road. Yet it seems that there are conflicting statements regarding whether waze does in fact distinguish left turns from straight movements when both proceed to the cross segment after waiting for the traffic signal.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:The point I was making earlier is . . .
Right, that seems similar to the situation like this.
TimeCross.png
(22.66 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
In this case both left turn traffic and cross traffic from Seg4 stops at the light and waits on Seg4. However, if there is a seperate left turn signal then the wait times on Seg4 at Jnct2 will be different depending on whether you go Seg4>Seg5>Seg7 or Seg4>Seg5>Seg6. But in either case there is no wait leaving Seg5 at Jnct3, so the difference would not be captured in the Seg5 data.

If waze can properly distinguish the time for turning left through Seg4>Seg5>Seg7 from going straight Seg4>Seg5>Seg6 in my example, then it would seem that waze should be able to properly distinguish the between the times for Seg7>Seg8>Seg9 and for Seg7>Seg8>Seg10 in your example.

The question then is can waze properly understand the turn times in these examples or not.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
vickimachado wrote:Permalink:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=12947865

Just to circle back on my issue noted earlier. Adding a short unnamed FREEWAY road segment produced the navigational prompt I wanted at the split between the EH-3 freeway and the EH-201. Now as you approach the split, you're told to stay to the right to get on the EH-201. That warns drivers so they don't find themselves bearing left onto the H-3:

Previously I had tried an unnamed RAMP segment before the split and it didn't work. I'm sure that's explained somewhere in the Wiki, but I didn't get it.
I agree with Alan that all ramp segments with the entering ramp unnamed would be the most straightforward solution. I wanted to note that adding the short FREEWAY road segment before the split for the EH-3 and EH-201 indeed causes a prompt to "exit right" to get on the EH-201. However, it also eliminates the prompt to "keep left" to get on the EH-3. You've switched which direction doesn't get a instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes, I think Alan's solution will work.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message