Un-named segments for better navigation

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Un-named segments for better navigation

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm

sketch wrote:I cannot agree with the use of unnamed segments as a replacement for pathfinder segments in the United States, especially in light of kentsmith9's traffic concern.

The middle segment isn't a pathfinder segment and has no need to be named. It will never appear in navigation guidance because it is a segment after a merge of two ramps, and therefore never appears in the app, per what I wrote above and this specific situation. The only reason to name it is for traffic reports.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby sketch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:I cannot agree with the use of unnamed segments as a replacement for pathfinder segments in the United States, especially in light of kentsmith9's traffic concern.

The middle segment isn't a pathfinder segment and has no need to be named. It will never appear in navigation guidance because it is a segment after a merge of two ramps, and therefore never appears in the app, per what I wrote above and this specific situation. The only reason to name it is for traffic reports.

Sorry, I could have been more clear. This was a reply to the OP only.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm

sketch wrote:Sorry, I could have been more clear. This was a reply to the OP only.

Cool then. I agree.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby ncc1701v » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:41 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:segments don't know anything, only the client or route server (collectively "Waze") knows.

I believe AlanOfTheBerg told me from a prior conversation with Waze that the database tracks the average transit times from segment to segment so it can be applied to routing decisions.

As the saying goes in Massachusetts, the light has dawned on Marblehead. Thanks, Kent, for the 1:1 guidance.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:07 pm

ncc1701v wrote:Thanks, Kent, for the 1:1 guidance.

My pleasure.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:segments don't know anything, only the client or route server (collectively "Waze") knows.

I believe AlanOfTheBerg told me from a prior conversation with Waze that the database tracks the average transit times from segment to segment so it can be applied to routing decisions. The problem with a short segment just before the Y-split is only the short segment will have two different average speeds exiting that segment. So when the traffic backs up longer than the short segment, the next segment with only one exit (to the short segment) will only have a single average speed from the two segments beyond it's reach. So yes the routing server knows where the next car is going, but it only has one average speed from the segment before the short one.

I added some material in the Wiki on this topic (separate segment routing times based on different exit segments) under "Turn delays" and also "Segment exit times." Are there other terms that come to mind I should link?
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor