The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by harling
kentsmith9 wrote:Now we have the history back on the 100+ changes that were made to this page over time and the couple of additional changes we made not noticing it had been moved.
Upon review, I found that it was jasonh200 who added the original section to the BP document in May 2012, so the conversation that led up to it was more recent than I thought. (I did make several additions to the document myself as far back as late 2010, but obviously my contribution to the wording of this section took place in the forum, rather than in editing the document first-hand.)
What I found on the turn restrictions issue is that from a forum conversation some time ago (about October 2012) one editor made some changes to the FAQ trying to summarize the discussion.
Yes: upon discovering the change to the document (to enable rather than to restrict), the consensus was that it should not have been changed. Upon discovering a couple months later that it had never been fixed, and hearing no objections, I did so on 18 December.
After that there were follow up conversations in February 2013 that lead to my creating the Time Restricted Turn template that now appears in the "best map editing practices" article. When I made that change, I forgot there was content in the FAQ, so tonight I made the FAQ more closely match the "best practices" content.

I believe both now reflect our consensus from the forum discussion in February 2013.
Thank you.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
Mike-1323 wrote:A UR gets generated and some editor who may or may not know the turn in question is time-restricted toggles it based on the UR. Even if the editor checking the UR knows the time restriction problem and has the turn set right the user who feels their problem hasn't been fixed may come into the editor and change it...
Thus the recommendation to lock adjacent roads--so that an experienced editor has to be called in before the turn can be changed.
I just hope that the time-based restrictions make it into WME and the routing server soon.
Can't happen soon enough!
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by james8970
I think it ought to a little less ambiguous, as I find that's a little too open ended and will lead to people handling the same situation differently. In all honesty, the bulk of the users, at least in my area, use Waze during rush hour. It's for this reason that if a turn is restricted during rush hour, I restrict the turn in Waze. Straight forward and simple to impliment.
James
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by jasonh300
You can't. There's time-based restriction functionality in development, but it's going to be a while.

See the FAQ (link in my sig below), #26 for details.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
dctdye wrote:
doctorkb wrote:The FAQ disagrees with the page it links to: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Best ... cted_Turns

-- the rule of thumb seems to be changed to restrict them.
Any objections to editing the FAQ to concur with the linked article?
I'm going to send a PM to kentsmith9 to take a look at this thread. He's the U.S. Wikimaster.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
harling wrote:Upon review, I found that it was jasonh200 who added the original section to the BP document in May 2012, so the conversation that led up to it was more recent than I thought. (I did make several additions to the document myself as far back as late 2010, but obviously my contribution to the wording of this section took place in the forum, rather than in editing the document first-hand.)
I remember adding that. IIRC, there was discussion somewhere in the forums, and I believe you either posted that language into the forum, or PMed it to me and I added to the Wiki.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I'm glad this came up. In my investigation I found someone had created a parallel page to the best practices article in order to change the title to all leading caps. This is not the Wikipedia convention nor the convention we try to follow here. I transferred the changes that were made to the new page back to the original and relinked everything back to where it was before March 1. Now we have the history back on the 100+ changes that were made to this page over time and the couple of additional changes we made not noticing it had been moved.

What I found on the turn restrictions issue is that from a forum conversation some time ago (about October 2012) one editor made some changes to the FAQ trying to summarize the discussion. After that there were follow up conversations in February 2013 that lead to my creating the Time Restricted Turn template that now appears in the "best map editing practices" article. When I made that change, I forgot there was content in the FAQ, so tonight I made the FAQ more closely match the "best practices" content.

I believe both now reflect our consensus from the forum discussion in February 2013.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
harling wrote:
  • 1. Turn-based restrictions are coming soon.
    2. Until then, consult an experienced editor.
    3. Failing that, read this guide and use your discretion.
harling, I made my post without noticing your last comment here.

I believe I have captured #1 and #3 in my update and have the FAQ match the BP. I did not add the comment about the consultation for a more experienced editor, but we can certainly do that. I think the FAQ may want to stick to the simpler verbage and maybe the BP recommends going to the forums for further guidance if there are questions.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dctdye wrote:I'm sure there is a more appropriate place to discuss the FAQ wiki, but the question right after about wrong address locations needs to be updated soon since house numbers are now back online.
It is in process here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
From what I heard at the US meetup in March, it appears to be the next big feature that will be added. It was not clear how long that would be though.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message