The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Motorway Directions Not Accounting for Change in Lanes

Post by talsworthy
This is a pet hate of mine at the moment but I don't know if its an issue with the editors or Waze itself.

(Bearing in mind I am from UK so the lane closest to the hard shoulder is left lane)

There are a number of roads where the left lane(s) bears off to another road. Where this happens my view is that Waze should tell you to keep right, preferably it should say what lane but I don't think that is has the capability for that. However in a lot of cases Waze has not taken into account the change and so will give no instruction regarding the lane chane. Potentially this could mean you come off the road without realising it soon enough.

Is this an issue with the editing, I had a look at these and I couldn't see anything wrong with a road that worked correctly against one that didn't or is it an issue with Waze at the moment.

If necessary I can highlight 3 locations where it works incorrectly and one where it works correctly.
talsworthy

POSTER_ID:14239306

Send a message

Post by talsworthy
That could be it, its a level 5 editor road (and I am too new to even want to risk editing it)

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=-2.8 ... 7713884864

I notice the road going off is a ramp which I am guess what it should be but maybe that has caused the issue.
talsworthy
Send a message

Post by Timbones
There is a way to edit the map so that an appropriate instruction is given to stay on the current road. Highway/Freeway splits are documented in the Junction Style Guide section of the Wiki (though we have a slightly different approach in the UK).

There does seem to have been a change in the routing instructions recently, where previously working 'keep rights' don't any more. I think it's where one of the split segments is a different road type. The only way to force Waze to give those instructions is to keep all the road types the same (as per Wiki) but it's an ugly hack. This didn't use to be necessary.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries