How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby ModandOp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey Guys,

Read through the guide and I didn't find an answer for how to label very small parking lots/stores like 7-11.

Should a small 7-11 + small 7-11 parking lot be labeled:

parking lot = own landmark/ 7-11 = own landmark OR
7-11 + parking lot = 1 landmark (7-11)

Does driving into a landmark that is not a parking lot take you off the road?
ModandOp
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby razor2k » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Don't landmark, just add simple parking lot road. Set proper turn restrictions and be done with it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby ModandOp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Okay. I've been reading through the forum and it seems Parking Lot Landmarks are not liked very much by more experienced editors.

If for example, there's a large office building complex, (where several people that use Waze drive to) should I encompass the whole complex + parking lot as an office building and draw in main parking lot roads? (Large I'm taking maybe 300 people, 100's of cars, maybe 12 people that use Waze) Or just the building and put parking lot roads around it?
ModandOp
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby razor2k » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm

ModandOp wrote:Okay. I've been reading through the forum and it seems Parking Lot Landmarks are not liked very much by more experienced editors.

If for example, there's a large office building complex, (where several people that use Waze drive to) should I encompass the whole complex + parking lot as an office building and draw in main parking lot roads? (Large I'm taking maybe 300 people, 100's of cars, maybe 12 people that use Waze) Or just the building and put parking lot roads around it?


Again...just follow the KISS principle. Draw in the main perimeter PL roads and don't landmark building (unless it's Waze)!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby harling » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 am

ModandOp wrote:Okay. I've been reading through the forum and it seems Parking Lot Landmarks are not liked very much by more experienced editors...

As I understand it, the Parking Lot landmark type is meant to highlight general parking facilities--like a parking garage or downtown parking lot--not those belonging to a specific destination like a mall, movie theater, restaurant etc. For those destinations, it's usually obvious where to park, so there is no need to highlight it on the map. It's when you have a meeting at an office downtown that does not have its own parking facilities, and on-street parking is limited, that you want Waze to help you find a place to park--and it isn't going to be in the fast-food joint's parking lot across the street.
Image
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Eastern MA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:39 am

harling wrote:As I understand it, the Parking Lot landmark type is meant to highlight general parking facilities--like a parking garage or downtown parking lot--not those belonging to a specific destination like a mall, movie theater, restaurant etc. For those destinations, it's usually obvious where to park, so there is no need to highlight it on the map. It's when you have a meeting at an office downtown that does not have its own parking facilities, and on-street parking is limited, that you want Waze to help you find a place to park--and it isn't going to be in the fast-food joint's parking lot across the street.

This makes sense, but I am not sure I have ever heard this recommended before. If we can get consensus I can add it to the Wiki.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1230 times
Been thanked: 1467 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 am

Remember, Individual businesses (except Gas Stations) should not be added to the map.
Image
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7064
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby CBenson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:46 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Remember, Individual businesses (except Gas Stations) should not be added to the map.

This seems like an odd way of stating this. As what I'm hearing is that parking lots that are individual businesses, whether municipally or privately run, should be added to the map as landmarks.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 10017
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2211 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby harling » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 pm

The differentiator is whether the parking lot serves an individual business. Most establishments that have their own parking area don't appreciate it when people leave cars in their lot, and then walk off to do business somewhere else. That is the purpose of a public parking facility: to provide parking for other businesses that don't have their own.
Image
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Eastern MA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: How to label very small stores like 7-11 + parking Lot

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Parking lots are also handled by foursquare.

Individual businesses who want to appear on the map should visit biz.waze.com and pay for an ad.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 395 times
Been thanked: 962 times

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CBenson, edi22on, SeveriorumPatrem