How to handle - Road Bulb/Bulge/Wart

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: How to handle - Road Bulb/Bulge/Wart

Postby sketch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

I would say if 1528 and 1524 are not visible 150 feet from the intersection when approaching from either side, it's far enough to draw the road. We don't wanna catch users off guard.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Another way to separate the two is the road Willimantic Ct to the south is actually drawn as a road and has a full bulb end of a cul-de-sac and the road on the north does not. In fact it appears more like an arch. Since the original map maker of the drawing above did not show the road, then I don't think we should. I propose the following for the Wiki:

Draw in street if any of the following are true:
* It has a unique name from the street it branches (this should be obvious, but we may as well help be clear)
* It forms a "bulb" at the end, although not all qualifying roads will actually have a bulb formation
* The road is longer than 75 ft (or 25 meters)

Do not draw in the street if all of the following are true:
* There is no official street name
* It is shorter than 75 ft (or 25 meters)
* When approaching the street, you can see all the houses from 150 ft (or 75 meters) away
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm

I know that I'm in the minority on how to provide these types of instructions and that different people like their instructions in different forms. But, if it were me, my guidance would be functional - draw in the street if a turn instruction would help a driver routed to a location on the street, if turn instruction would not help a driver don't draw the street. Then maybe provide the physical parameters as guidance to where a turn instruction is likely to be helpful.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm

CBenson wrote:I know that I'm in the minority on how to provide these types of instructions and that different people like their instructions in different forms. But, if it were me, my guidance would be functional - draw in the street if a turn instruction would help a driver routed to a location on the street, if turn instruction would not help a driver don't draw the street. Then maybe provide the physical parameters as guidance to where a turn instruction is likely to be helpful.

Question: In the case of a road named "Jefferson Way" with a T-intersection connecting to a very short 50 ft road called the same "Jefferson Way", does the routing engine give a turn instruction to that short road given all the segment names are the same? If not, then this would only be for visual reference (which might be enough to help someone). If yes, then you get two clues (visual and TTS).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:In the case of a road named "Jefferson Way" with a T-intersection connecting to a very short 50 ft road called the same "Jefferson Way", does the routing engine give a turn instruction to that short road given all the segment names are the same?

My understanding is that yes for a T intersection (or anytime the angle of deflection is over 45 degrees) the routing engine will give a turn instruction.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 pm

CBenson wrote:My understanding is that yes for a T intersection (or anytime the angle of deflection is over 45 degrees) the routing engine will give a turn instruction.

But only if the junction is more than one exit direction, e.g., a right turn at an "L" that has a junction and not just a node, does not give a right-turn instruction even at 45-90 degrees. Correct?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ncc1701v » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Rather than an absolute distance, how about "draw in the road if it has two or more houses/buildings"?

I would also add to draw it in if it gets close to a different road it is not attached to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby CBenson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:But only if the junction is more than one exit direction, e.g., a right turn at an "L" that has a junction and not just a node, does not give a right-turn instruction even at 45-90 degrees. Correct?

Correct.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 am

OK. One other visual example similar to the original, but this one has a bulb appearance, but does not have a separate street name.
RiverParkCirStockton.png
RiverParkCirStockton.png (884.32 KiB) Viewed 895 times

According to Zillow these 5 homes are addressed on River Park Circle, which is the primary road around them. I believe we have determined that if someone actually drew in a street and named it River Park Circle, nothing would happen negatively, but people might feel better that there is a court looking road here and the Waze map would show it, and the TTS would announce it.

I think the only possible confusion might be that the user is on River Park Circle and then they get a turn indication for River Park Circle, but no street sign will match that instruction. I don't think that is bad enough to not map it though.

So if our Wiki instructions are as listed above I think we are safe regardless if these small bumps are mapped or not.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Gizmoguy411 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Despite whatever we use as guidelines for these, if they are not mapped, then someone will probably map it eventually. Especially in a mature area with little to edit for new editors. This has just been done by a level 2 editor a few days ago for the OP example.

Since we have no mechanism to prevent the addition of a segment, we would have a revolving door situation if we deleted it.

So in light of the recent edit, I move the appropriate house numbers to the new segment.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
Gizmoguy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor