Un-dividing divided roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Un-dividing divided roads

Postby Borgholio » Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Now that single roads have the option for a U-Turn at junctions, would it make sense in some cases to un-divide roads, at least at intersections? The goal is to eliminate erroneous "roads are too far apart" problems caused by U-turns too far away from the street junction.
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Un-dividing divided roads

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 pm

An editor who came and saw two divided roads meeting each other in which a previous editor added every single right and left turn lane might have made a good call to dramatically simplify, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:51 pm

gohamstergo wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=55569961

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....
Just a comment about something I see near by: Pretend the segment type of Service Road doesn't exist. It's identical to Street, so if you're trying to have routing avoid it, use Parking Lot or Private, and if it's a "frontage" it likely should be Primary or Street depending on Functional Class.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gohamstergo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Guess I'll just use these when specific u-turn control is needed, since that seems to be their only use.
gohamstergo

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I also might add that in that example, the only reason for putting in a bowtie is to prevent U-Turns. However, there's not a single restricted turn on that Bowtie.

I would think that the road coming from the south should not be allowed to make a U-turn...possibly from other directions also. What happened here is that a level (1) came in and split the road from the south...probably not necessary...set it up as a Minor Highway, and didn't restrict the U-turn.
jasonh300

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 pm

gohamstergo wrote:which road you talking about? how pacific blvd is different? all i did was wipe some extra geometry in the area, so dont blame me X_X if you see somethin needs fixin, feel free.

I don't think it was your name on it, however one side of the road was marked as a Minor Highway, and the other side was marked as a street...blatantly wrong, especially considering that it appears to be the entrance to a parking lot. Looks like russblau already came in and fixed that.
jasonh300

Postby russblau » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am

gohamstergo wrote:Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....

It's called a "bowtie", or a "Mapcat bowtie" after the user who originated it. Look at the Junction Style Guide page in the wiki for more info.
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed beta editor link
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby gohamstergo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 am

which road you talking about? how pacific blvd is different? all i did was wipe some extra geometry in the area, so dont blame me X_X if you see somethin needs fixin, feel free.
gohamstergo

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 am

gohamstergo wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Looks like a perfect example of an intersection that will generate a lot of MPs that really don't need any attention other than to mark solved.

Someone with a little bit of editing experience should go in and clean up after the level 3 who unsuccessfully tried to change the road type of the road to the south.

Via my iPhone 4S
jasonh300

Postby gohamstergo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 am

Last edited by gohamstergo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gohamstergo

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor