Un-dividing divided roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Un-dividing divided roads

Postby russblau » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am

gohamstergo wrote:Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=55569961

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....

It's called a "bowtie", or a "Mapcat bowtie" after the user who originated it. Look at the Junction Style Guide page in the wiki for more info.
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed beta editor link
Image Image Image Image
State Manager: District of Columbia
AM Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C./Sussex County, DE/Westchester County, NY
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ottonomy » Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I added this thread to the Wiki Maintenance page as a to-do item. I think Alan's examples would like work directly in the Wiki.

Thank you! We point users to the wiki for practically everything, so it would be a shame for people to be following the old instructions there when a much better method has been developed.
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Assistant Regional Coordinator - South Atlantic
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ottonomy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Alan, could that be added to this part of the wiki, and the text be edited accordingly?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... -Way_Roads
As it reads right now, there is no caveat to preserve speed data by keeping the segments from both sides, but shortening and joining them. I taught myself a very similar technique some time ago, just by thinking the problem through and testing things, but it seems a shame that the unsplitting guide in the wiki merely advises that it might save time to preserve the half of a split road which is connected to more cross-streets.
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Assistant Regional Coordinator - South Atlantic
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have also verified that this process works even when the two sides of the split road have different names.

Alan, after looking at your video, I realize you use all the pieces wheres I deleted my 2 half's. Therefore, I had some missing house numbers. Thank you for the video. :)
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby ncc1701v » Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 am

I first want to thank everyone for this thread. I never would have known about preserving both sides to save house numbers.

I have a procedural question. In the video I see that you merged each length of road between junctions independently. I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:51 am

OK. I believe I have all the content from Alan (including the video) added to the Wiki.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... -Way_Roads

Please check my edits and be sure I did not leave anything out. As I was entering the data I noticed myself dozing off at the keyboard, so who knows what I typed periodically. :oops:
USA: California (Northern, SF/SJ)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

ottonomy wrote:Alan, could that be added to this part of the wiki, and the text be edited accordingly?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... -Way_Roads
As it reads right now, there is no caveat to preserve speed data by keeping the segments from both sides, but shortening and joining them. I taught myself a very similar technique some time ago, just by thinking the problem through and testing things, but it seems a shame that the unsplitting guide in the wiki merely advises that it might save time to preserve the half of a split road which is connected to more cross-streets.

I added this thread to the Wiki Maintenance page as a to-do item. I think Alan's examples would likely work directly in the Wiki.
USA: California (Northern, SF/SJ)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I also might add that in that example, the only reason for putting in a bowtie is to prevent U-Turns. However, there's not a single restricted turn on that Bowtie.

I would think that the road coming from the south should not be allowed to make a U-turn...possibly from other directions also. What happened here is that a level (1) came in and split the road from the south...probably not necessary...set it up as a Minor Highway, and didn't restrict the U-turn.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 pm

gohamstergo wrote:which road you talking about? how pacific blvd is different? all i did was wipe some extra geometry in the area, so dont blame me X_X if you see somethin needs fixin, feel free.

I don't think it was your name on it, however one side of the road was marked as a Minor Highway, and the other side was marked as a street...blatantly wrong, especially considering that it appears to be the entrance to a parking lot. Looks like russblau already came in and fixed that.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 am

gohamstergo wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=55569961

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....

Looks like a perfect example of an intersection that will generate a lot of MPs that really don't need any attention other than to mark solved.

Someone with a little bit of editing experience should go in and clean up after the level 3 who unsuccessfully tried to change the road type of the road to the south.

Via my iPhone 4S
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor