Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by kentsmith9
ottonomy wrote:Alan, could that be added to this part of the wiki, and the text be edited accordingly?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... -Way_Roads
As it reads right now, there is no caveat to preserve speed data by keeping the segments from both sides, but shortening and joining them. I taught myself a very similar technique some time ago, just by thinking the problem through and testing things, but it seems a shame that the unsplitting guide in the wiki merely advises that it might save time to preserve the half of a split road which is connected to more cross-streets.
I added this thread to the Wiki Maintenance page as a to-do item. I think Alan's examples would likely work directly in the Wiki.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
OK. I believe I have all the content from Alan (including the video) added to the Wiki.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... -Way_Roads

Please check my edits and be sure I did not leave anything out. As I was entering the data I noticed myself dozing off at the keyboard, so who knows what I typed periodically. :oops:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
I first want to thank everyone for this thread. I never would have known about preserving both sides to save house numbers.

I have a procedural question. In the video I see that you merged each length of road between junctions independently. I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by orbitc
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have also verified that this process works even when the two sides of the split road have different names.
Alan, after looking at your video, I realize you use all the pieces wheres I deleted my 2 half's. Therefore, I had some missing house numbers. Thank you for the video. :)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by ottonomy
Alan, could that be added to this part of the wiki, and the text be edited accordingly?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... -Way_Roads
As it reads right now, there is no caveat to preserve speed data by keeping the segments from both sides, but shortening and joining them. I taught myself a very similar technique some time ago, just by thinking the problem through and testing things, but it seems a shame that the unsplitting guide in the wiki merely advises that it might save time to preserve the half of a split road which is connected to more cross-streets.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by ottonomy
kentsmith9 wrote:I added this thread to the Wiki Maintenance page as a to-do item. I think Alan's examples would like work directly in the Wiki.
Thank you! We point users to the wiki for practically everything, so it would be a shame for people to be following the old instructions there when a much better method has been developed.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by russblau
gohamstergo wrote:Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=55569961

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....
It's called a "bowtie", or a "Mapcat bowtie" after the user who originated it. Look at the Junction Style Guide page in the wiki for more info.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed beta editor link