Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Odd issue with road

Post by twentw
I'm new to the Waze editor, so maybe someone can help. There's a section of Memorial Dr. in Houston roughly between Terrace and Malone where I am unable to plot any route eastbound. I see no obvious issues when I look at it in the editor. Can someone check this and let me know what needs to be done?
twentw

POSTER_ID:14425961

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ottonomy wrote:... do you know about the Shift-Z keyboard shortcut... It's a good quick way to spot some of the problems that get in the way of logical routing.
It's also a way for careless editors to go "fix" all the red arrows thinking that anything red needs fixing. Just because it is red doesn't mean it needs fixing. Shift+z does not show which segment the turn is restricted from, and that's really extremely important. You have to turn off Shift+z and select the segments connected to the junction a red arrow is pointing from to find out if the restriction is valid or if it needs to be allowed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ottonomy wrote:I thought I had explained that in my post, except for the careless editor "fixing" things part, but I guess not clearly enough. Thanks for bolstering my point and adding the caveat.
You did. I like to get out my sledgehammer sometimes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by ottonomy
twentw, do you know about the Shift-Z keyboard shortcut? If you press that, you can see all the restricted turns in the current viewing area of the map at once, but you won't necessarily be able to tell with which segments of a junction they are associated. Use shift-z to quickly spot suspicious restrictions, the press it again to put everything back to normal, so you can click on each of the segments around where you saw red arrows and verify the restrictions. It's a good quick way to spot some of the problems that get in the way of logical routing.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by ottonomy
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's also a way for careless editors to go "fix" all the red arrows thinking that anything red needs fixing. Just because it is red doesn't mean it needs fixing. Shift+z does not show which segment the turn is restricted from, and that's really extremely important. You have to turn off Shift+z and select the segments connected to the junction a red arrow is pointing from to find out if the restriction is valid or if it needs to be allowed.
I thought I had explained that in my post, except for the careless editor "fixing" things part, but I guess not clearly enough. Thanks for bolstering my point and adding the caveat.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

thefatveganchef
Send a message

twentw
Send a message

Post by twentw
That's exactly what I'm doing - I have it zoomed in and have all the road segments selected, but that's what I get. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I noticed on the editor that starting at Terrace it says "Most users did not follow the suggested route." This suggests it's not just me.
twentw
Send a message

Post by twentw
Thanks for your help. I have now edited the road so hopefully the issue will be fixed when the map gets updated.
twentw
Send a message