Idea for problem alleys?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Idea for problem alleys?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Junctions won't help much. However, you could try restricting turns in and out. That will increase the "penalty" a bit.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bigbear3764 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:07 pm

I haven't seen alleys used to bypass main roads in Chicago. Our URs in alleys are from people getting sent down the alley when arriving at home pin location from Bing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AM Chicagoland Area
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am

If I'm understand correctly and we're talking about residential streets that are being picked up instead of the main primary streets, and you are sure that those residential streets should never be picked up unless the main street is screwed up with an accident, I'd opt either for what you said (extra nodes to slow down, maybe node at the corners of the street if any), or simply be nice to the residents and set the segment to parking lot (if there is indeed a lot of residential parking) or even private.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but in the couple of cases I had like this, I had no time to spend playing around wherever I wouldn't be driving, I'd just stick the private type and get done, whilst at the places I could drive around, I did the right thing and drove through the main road as fast as I could and through the residential backstreet as slow as I could and it sorted out by itself.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 am

The OLD DATA is what really needs to be stressed here. Unless you've personally seen Waze route you through a Parking Lot segment, or you can get it to happen in LiveMap, you can't trust the Routing shown on the Route Not Taken MPs.

Via my iPhone 4S.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 am

tonestertm wrote:OK. Thanks again. Lessons learned. Old data, don't forget to check the Livemap.... :chagrined:
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Not at all! You raised a valid question, learned about how these things work, and there's always the possibility that someone else will read this thread and also learn from it.

Via my iPhone 4S.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 pm

The MP/UR do not have enough information for all the alley ones that I have seen, all I have seen are the route instructing them to turn down the alley but not "through" the alley. So I suspect what bigbear stated about the location (stopping point)
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 am

tonestertm wrote:OK, here's another one that's live right now, and I know I've seen it quite some time ago. The difficult left turn out of the alley on to Cahuenga is even Disallowed!
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... 0,62193649

Another example of OLD DATA being used for the automated map problems. In the live map, waze will only do a right turn out of that street https://www.waze.com/livemap/?lon=-118. ... g=62383329
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby mapcat » Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Permalink?

Unless things changed recently, junctions that only connect two segments have zero effect on routing.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ottonomy » Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 pm

One thing to remember when looking at MPs of the type "Suggested route frequently ignored" / "Most users did not follow the suggested route" is that for some reason many of these seem to be generated by quite outdated drive and routing data, where the problem has been solved conclusively, but the Waze automated map problem routines keep putting them on the map over and over. I see these SO frequently, and yet so rarely do I see an actual user submitted map problem where Waze proposed a route over a parking lot road. In the cases where I do see such URs, I suspect that the situation is often what jemay has suggested, that we can't see the route end point in the UR, and that Waze didn't actually route PAST the parking lot or private road, but merely chose it because the destination address marker was closer to the alley than to the street segment.

There has been some debate about whether Waze is still using old data for these MPs, or if indeed people are still being routed over parking lot road segments. I submit the following exhibits as evidence that such MPs are still being generated after the problems have been solved. In this case, the modification dates of the disconnected segments were well over a month earlier than the date when I found this MP and captured the screenshots (March 9 / April 20). It's interesting to me that the Waze suggested route is broken approximately where the segments are disconnected. It's as if the automated process knows that the problem has been solved, but it can't talk to itself...
SuggestedRoute1.jpg
SuggestedRoute1.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 902 times

ModDate.jpg
ModDate.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 902 times

I've been following this issue as it pops up in thread after thread, and I'd really appreciate a PM if any of you editors out there find examples of actual user submitted map errors where its clear that Waze has routed through a parking lot road or private road segment which is not at the end point of a route. Only with URs can we verify that the routing occurred after a segment road type has been set.
ottonomy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby PhantomSoul » Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm

It's sounds to me that the MP's based on old data are a side effect of the way these problem junctions are detected, and even though the problem may have been conclusively fixed, Waze will keep generating problem pins there until enough drives through that junction follow their suggested routes to counterbalance the deviated drives that triggered the MP to begin with.

I usually just mark them as solved if I can't find anything wrong with the junction. Most of these occur at the minor street and parking lot junctions of a road that approaches a known traffic-prone intersection and the deviations are people just turning to find a different way to go despite Waze wanting them to continue in the traffic, perhaps because it doesn't know about the traffic yet.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New York City; New Jersey
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor