The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Idea for problem alleys?

Post by
First, let me Very Clearly state that I am not suggesting this as a general approach to alley drawing!

Around here there are a few alleys on the map which are recurrent "problem alleys", which Waze tries to route folks through (I'm guessing during heavy traffic times), and 95% of them ignore it. Solve the Map Issue and go on, you say. Let the ignorant suffer!

Like the proverbial cat, these notifications will come back again and again for these particular segments. There are no apparent problems with the map--Parking Lot type, turns all around OK, doesn't seem to matter if they are named and/or City'ed or not. In actual fact, they may be faster than taking the street, but in my experience using the alleys around here for wholesale general through-traffic is frowned upon, they're sometimes in disrepair, and most people don't follow these routes anyway (as evidenced by the repeated MP's). There have been numerous threads about this type of Map Issue, but I haven't found anything to actually solve this "problem", short of deleting the alley altogether (which is, of course, an option, given the ongoing debate about the value of even drawing alleys on the map).

So I wondered: what if we add a junction (or two) into the given segment to "slow it down" even more than the Exit-from-a-Parking-Lot-Road penalty? As much as I truly detest data sprawl, in these problem cases this might be enough to discourage Waze from trying to send folks through these places in all but the worst of traffic, thus saving weary editors from the grievous tragedy of yet another three clicks of the mouse every couple of weeks. This could work for situations of unwanted routing through parking lots as well.

Perhaps I'm just beating a dead horse up the wrong tree into the wind. Thoughts?

POSTER_ID:12160166

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Junctions won't help much. However, you could try restricting turns in and out. That will increase the "penalty" a bit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Bigbear3764
I haven't seen alleys used to bypass main roads in Chicago. Our URs in alleys are from people getting sent down the alley when arriving at home pin location from Bing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The OLD DATA is what really needs to be stressed here. Unless you've personally seen Waze route you through a Parking Lot segment, or you can get it to happen in LiveMap, you can't trust the Routing shown on the Route Not Taken MPs.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tonestertm wrote:OK. Thanks again. Lessons learned. Old data, don't forget to check the Livemap.... :chagrined:
Sorry to have wasted your time.
Not at all! You raised a valid question, learned about how these things work, and there's always the possibility that someone else will read this thread and also learn from it.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
The MP/UR do not have enough information for all the alley ones that I have seen, all I have seen are the route instructing them to turn down the alley but not "through" the alley. So I suspect what bigbear stated about the location (stopping point)
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
tonestertm wrote:OK, here's another one that's live right now, and I know I've seen it quite some time ago. The difficult left turn out of the alley on to Cahuenga is even Disallowed!
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... 0,62193649
Another example of OLD DATA being used for the automated map problems. In the live map, waze will only do a right turn out of that street https://www.waze.com/livemap/?lon=-118. ... g=62383329
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by mapcat
Permalink?

Unless things changed recently, junctions that only connect two segments have zero effect on routing.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by ottonomy
One thing to remember when looking at MPs of the type "Suggested route frequently ignored" / "Most users did not follow the suggested route" is that for some reason many of these seem to be generated by quite outdated drive and routing data, where the problem has been solved conclusively, but the Waze automated map problem routines keep putting them on the map over and over. I see these SO frequently, and yet so rarely do I see an actual user submitted map problem where Waze proposed a route over a parking lot road. In the cases where I do see such URs, I suspect that the situation is often what jemay has suggested, that we can't see the route end point in the UR, and that Waze didn't actually route PAST the parking lot or private road, but merely chose it because the destination address marker was closer to the alley than to the street segment.

There has been some debate about whether Waze is still using old data for these MPs, or if indeed people are still being routed over parking lot road segments. I submit the following exhibits as evidence that such MPs are still being generated after the problems have been solved. In this case, the modification dates of the disconnected segments were well over a month earlier than the date when I found this MP and captured the screenshots (March 9 / April 20). It's interesting to me that the Waze suggested route is broken approximately where the segments are disconnected. It's as if the automated process knows that the problem has been solved, but it can't talk to itself...
SuggestedRoute1.jpg
(65.17 KiB) Downloaded 1327 times
ModDate.jpg
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
I've been following this issue as it pops up in thread after thread, and I'd really appreciate a PM if any of you editors out there find examples of actual user submitted map errors where its clear that Waze has routed through a parking lot road or private road segment which is not at the end point of a route. Only with URs can we verify that the routing occurred after a segment road type has been set.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by PhantomSoul
It's sounds to me that the MP's based on old data are a side effect of the way these problem junctions are detected, and even though the problem may have been conclusively fixed, Waze will keep generating problem pins there until enough drives through that junction follow their suggested routes to counterbalance the deviated drives that triggered the MP to begin with.

I usually just mark them as solved if I can't find anything wrong with the junction. Most of these occur at the minor street and parking lot junctions of a road that approaches a known traffic-prone intersection and the deviations are people just turning to find a different way to go despite Waze wanting them to continue in the traffic, perhaps because it doesn't know about the traffic yet.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by pinpusher
A few lines of code could fix the alley routing problem extremely fast. Only route to the nearest street unless the pin has been moved.

Per https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Illinois#Alleys "As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues." IMHO, Chicago alleys should be turned into linear place features or remove them, it as much quicker to remove them than to move 100,000 address pins.
pinpusher
Send a message