Normal Roundabouts and Take Left/Right/Straight Instructions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Normal Roundabouts and Take Left/Right/Straight Instruct

Postby davipt » Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 pm

jasonh300 wrote:There was also a recent posting about a user being reprimanded by Waze for using a railroad to leave notes.

Via my iPhone 4S.

Overreactions. Nothing to see here. Carry on.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 pm

banished wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Writing notes on railroad segments is standard practice. Reply to the email as such and ask them to bring it up with the Global Champs if they haven't heard of this.

Never heard of it until I stumbled into this thread. I encourage a different "type" be used for note-taking for a couple of reasons.

1. It implies there's no value in documenting railroads as real railroads in the WME now or in the future; they're there for notes.

2. I am concerned editors will come to believe that if a railroad type isn't being used as a note, it can be deleted.

Two meetups ago I presented a brief detailing why railroads should be returned to the client. Last meetup I heard Ehud (Waze employee) encourage documenting everything.

All decent car navigation devices include railroads, so we should not go down this railroad "note" path.

It's ugly but only temporary:
- proper notes will come eventually
- railroad is the only type that won't show on the client
- railroads are not changing and the amount is small enough to be easy to draw the real ones and lock to avoid confusion
- only high ranks and only when really needed are notes being used, so they can also be locked, or garbage be deleted

As soon as notes are available, those railroad notes will be deleted right away.

Personally I hadn't yet had the need for them. I've almost considered using fake railroads to improve the border of city areas, specially cities with only a straight segment (the area becomes the whole rectangular/square tile) but then gave up, those cities were not that relevant.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Sun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I'll go back to sleep, now.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:18 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:There was also a recent posting about a user being reprimanded by Waze for using a railroad to leave notes.

Read a few posts back.

Oh....duh.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun May 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Read a few posts back.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:18 pm

There was also a recent posting about a user being reprimanded by Waze for using a railroad to leave notes.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby banished » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Writing notes on railroad segments is standard practice. Reply to the email as such and ask them to bring it up with the Global Champs if they haven't heard of this.

Never heard of it until I stumbled into this thread. I encourage a different "type" be used for note-taking for a couple of reasons.

1. It implies there's no value in documenting railroads as real railroads in the WME now or in the future; they're there for notes.

2. I am concerned editors will come to believe that if a railroad type isn't being used as a note, it can be deleted.

Two meetups ago I presented a brief detailing why railroads should be returned to the client. Last meetup I heard Ehud (Waze employee) encourage documenting everything.

All decent car navigation devices include railroads, so we should not go down this railroad "note" path.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

I hope it was just a misunderstanding.

Regarding roundabouts I just found a similar topic and a post with a permalink to the exact same roundabout dated back to Apr 2011 :lol: I guess during that discussion we got most of our roundabouts remade with normal road segments to get simple "turn left/right" instructions like we can see here...
berestovskyy

Postby davipt » Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm

See my update ;) not really to do with the railroad, nothing to see here, move along.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Writing notes on railroad segments is standard practice. Reply to the email as such and ask them to bring it up with the Global Champs if they haven't heard of this.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor