The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Normal Roundabouts and Take Left/Right/Straight Instructions

Post by berestovskyy
Hi!
I'd like to ask about normal roundabouts.

1. What is the background of having just 4 nodes limit? For instance, two split roads cross at the roundabout. There are 4 "on" segments and 4 "off", but this roundabout is non-normal for Waze.

2. Why getting left/right/straight instructions is so complicated (X-Y axis etc)? Having those angle-showing scripts now, It seems much easier just to analyze an angle between in and out segment with narrowed down spread to say 5 degree. So it's 1) easy to adjust an instruction 2) it will allow to get left/right/straight instructions on roundabouts like I mentioned above and on more complicated roundabouts like this one.

I'm not suggesting, just asking! ;)

Thanks!
berestovskyy

POSTER_ID:2630595

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
berestovskyy wrote: 1. What is the background of having just 4 nodes limit? For instance, two split roads cross at the roundabout. There are 4 "on" segments and 4 "off", but this roundabout is non-normal for Waze.
That is not a roundabout. It's just normal segments.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
In the first example, you don't get any "roundabout" prompts because it isn't set up as a roundabout. You'll never get "at the roundabout" unless there is actually a roundabout mapped.

In the latest example you gave, I'm not sure why you aren't getting a left/right prompt as those angles are quite close to 90 degrees. Unless the "angle" is calculated from the segment end-points. We haven't been given that level of detail. Here's how your angles look for segment end-to-end angles.
Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 4.57.56 PM.png
(268.77 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
The straight I'd say should still say "straight" but the left/right may be too far off the expected angle.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Writing notes on railroad segments is standard practice. Reply to the email as such and ask them to bring it up with the Global Champs if they haven't heard of this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:There was also a recent posting about a user being reprimanded by Waze for using a railroad to leave notes.
Read a few posts back.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by banished
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Writing notes on railroad segments is standard practice. Reply to the email as such and ask them to bring it up with the Global Champs if they haven't heard of this.
Never heard of it until I stumbled into this thread. I encourage a different "type" be used for note-taking for a couple of reasons.

1. It implies there's no value in documenting railroads as real railroads in the WME now or in the future; they're there for notes.

2. I am concerned editors will come to believe that if a railroad type isn't being used as a note, it can be deleted.

Two meetups ago I presented a brief detailing why railroads should be returned to the client. Last meetup I heard Ehud (Waze employee) encourage documenting everything.

All decent car navigation devices include railroads, so we should not go down this railroad "note" path.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by berestovskyy
In real life it is a roundabout (Gogle street view), marked with "Give way" and "Roundabout" signs.

Here is another example with proper roundabout segments if you wish. Despite I was trying hard to put those nodes on the right positions, I still get "take 3rd exit" instead of "on the roundabout take left". It's OK with me, but it bugs most of our AMs, so they prefer to have normal segments over roundabouts as my previous examples.

Sorry, I see you discuss such questions in Wiki Updates and Discussion. Missed again :(
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
Thanks for the answers. Getting back to my OP: can we ask Waze to remove 4 nodes limitation or to count one-way segments separately, so split-road roundabouts would become "normal" to Waze?

And more controversial: can we ask Waze to determine straight/left/right on a roundabout by just analyzing the angle between in and out setments? We already have few scripts showing the angles between segments, so it would be much easier for the editors to create a normal roundabout in WME just adjusting in/out segments angles, rather than build X-Y axis.
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
davipt wrote:What would it say on the 5th and next exits?
"A roundabout can be both normal and non-normal at the same time" (a cite from Wiki). So, Waze just say "take Nth exit" for the exits which are not aligned straight/left/right like it does now?
davipt wrote:Besides on large roundabouts it's usually harder to keep track of left/right/straight than the exit number.
It is common in Poland to build a split roads intersection as a roundabout. And since it is perfectly clear what is straight/left/right, our editors prefer to map those roundabouts as a normal segments (to get left/right instructions at least).
davipt wrote:to avoid people moving the segments around and screwing the instructions again.
That's a good point. But we have plenty of ways to screw a roundabout now, so does it really matter to have another one ;)
davipt wrote:As I said, in your case, either stick to the split entries and let the exit-nth work, or hack the system, have 4 segments in the middle of the tracks and ensure the straight/left/right. ;)
We stuck with simple road segments, but this is not right and I'd like to address it.

To override instructions we could tag attached to roundabout segments with "0", "1", "2" and "3", so driving from a segment tagged "0" to a segment tagged "2" you always get "straight" instruction (no matter position, X-Y axis and angle of those segments). Is it simple enough?
berestovskyy
Send a message