Geez, why not make the forum as complicated?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Geez, why not make the forum as complicated?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:08 pm

DaveFromRI wrote:If you can suggest the best browser to be used for editing, it would be appreciated. I use Firefox (always the latest version), but many sites require/demand IE.

Hello Dave!

A couple links I hope you will find useful below.

Map Editor documentation. I know it's "documentation" but there is a wealth of information, quick guides, and tips found here which will give you a solid base to perform pretty much any action in the editor: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze_Map_Editor

FAQ. Just what it says. Includes the answer to your question about what editor to use: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... ?title=FAQ
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:20 pm

FYI, I am moving this out of the Issues and Requests subforum as that is for reporting issues with current functionality or requests for new, not "how-to" stuffz.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CTGreybeard » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I think it's pretty easy.

Start with a NEW road segment. Begin drawing to the right or left of the existing road segment a short way away and close to where you want to split the road. Connect the other end to the existing segment exactly where it changes from one-way to two-way. Select and delete the NEW road segment. You now have a new node where the two were joined. Select the segment that is to be one-way and change it to that. Select the segment that is two-way and change it to that.

Save.

Done. :o

I know it seems silly to have to create and delete that phantom segment but that's they way I've done it and it works fine.
Bill W
AM: Northwestern Connecticut, Putnam & Dutchess Counties, New York
Home: Bethel, Connecticut

CTGreybeard
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby CTGreybeard » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

DaveFromRI wrote:Whoo hoo! It worked!

That's great! I too am a vet though long retired.

One thing I forgot to mention and is very important to do when you have a map question. It's called a "Permalink" ...

At the lower right of the editing window is a button labelled Permalink. If you do either a right-click and Copy Link Location OR click the button then select and copy the address URL at the top of the browser window and then paste that link into your question then anyone will be able to see exactly what you were looking at. If you highlight a segment and then copy the Permalink then that will help highlight it for others.

This is a great illustration tool and doesn't take nearly as much space as an image.

This is covered in the documentation and FAQs but I wanted to point it out as it's extremely useful for communicating exactly what you are talking about.

Have fun!
Bill W
AM: Northwestern Connecticut, Putnam & Dutchess Counties, New York
Home: Bethel, Connecticut

CTGreybeard
Beta tester
Beta tester

Geez, why not make the forum as complicated?

Postby DaveFromRI » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Geez, you would think that a group of people trying to contribute to a positive outcome for others would be easy, but heh, I guess my 30+ years of computer programming (ranging from machine language entered in binary form to C++) has me clueless.

Anyway, I've got a road that's marked on the map with a start point (A) and end point (B), but part-way in there is a rail-road crossing (visible on the web map) that delineates one-way versus two-way. In other words, the short part of the road that approaches the rail-road crossing is one-way, but after that it becomes two-way (because it becomes an entrance point to a local bike path).

How do I split the road that the railroad crossing (actually a very small one-way bridge under the train track), so I can update the map so that for people seeking the shortest route going in the same-direction path, this road can be used? However, for those seeking the shortest route in the opposite direction, it is not available.

The question can be compressed to be, how can I insert an "A, B, C..." point?

Reference:
Davison Ave
Woonsocket, RI 02895

On Davision Ave between Manville and the train tracks is one-way east-bound. From that point forward, Davison Ave is two-way.

Note: I'm a retired military veteran who has little to do with his time except contribute to the community (any community I suppose). Surely I won't rack up the mileage of most of you, but I'm willing to invest my time and effort to make things better for others.

Why make it so hard? :?:
DaveFromRI

Postby DaveFromRI » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Thank you Bill W.
I will give it a try, and silly is OK, as any positive contribution is better than no contribution.

If you can suggest the best browser to be used for editing, it would be appreciated. I use Firefox (always the latest version), but many sites require/demand IE.
DaveFromRI

Postby DaveFromRI » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Whoo hoo! It worked!

From what I can see on the Waze map, the path leading to the railroad tressel is marked one-way (as it should be), but access from the other end of Davision (for those wishing to access the bicycle path) is available (again, as it should be).

Bill W, I hope others out there recognize that there are many like me, disabled military veterans, who despite being home-bound are seeking some way...any way...to contribute to our community and our society. Waze makes for an outlet for those like me who have limited ability to go easily beyond our physical restraints (homes).

Thank you!!!
DaveFromRI

Postby huckd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 pm

DaveFromRI wrote:Whoo hoo! It worked!

Bill W, I hope others out there recognize that there are many like me, disabled military veterans, who despite being home-bound are seeking some way...any way...to contribute to our community and our society. Waze makes for an outlet for those like me who have limited ability to go easily beyond our physical restraints (homes).

Thank you!!!

Hi Dave!

First - thanks for your service to our country!

Second - welcome to Waze. I stumbled up on it a little over a month ago and man, is it addicting. lol. I'm retired also (not from the military, but I am a vet) and have spent hours and hours learning, experimenting, studying and just having fun with Waze. Yeah, it's a little overwhelming at first but hang in there.

huckd
Area Manager in SW Georgia, USA.
huckd

Return to Waze Map Editor