The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Alley... oops?

Post by
What road type should we mark Alleys with? I started using "service road" as other people have, but those roads render at higher zoom levels than regular roads which doesn't look right.
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... lley#p8865

Marking alleys as roads makes the map very confusing visually and difficult to read. Is there a road type that will render thinner than roads, and disappear sooner than roads at higher zoom levels?

I'm in Los Angeles and many alleys are marked as no entrance. I started fixing them to 2 way streets, but then Waze was sending me down every back alley on my route. Currently I am just leaving them marked as "no entrance" until I can find a better solution. Anyone have one?

POSTER_ID:484390

Send a message

Post by FrisbeeDog
I think the solution would be for the developers to fix the rendering issue with both service roads and parking lot roads. If you change them to a road that doesn't render at high levels and then support finally fixes the issue then you'll just have to change them again to be an accurate road type.
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina

Post by jondrush
Alleys are streets, plain and simple. No other category fits.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
robin1979 wrote:Your world must be black or white, isn't it?
Not at all. Witness my dithering over Major Higways vs. Minor highways. :D It's just that unless Waze decides to create an alley category, the other categories aren't even close. Alleys may not have the same design and maintenance criteria as regular streets, but from a public access and basic driving function they are no different than ordinary streets in every city I've ever been in. If they are not public access, then mark them as private roads.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
QuickOK wrote:From Merriam-Webster:

: a narrow street; especially : a thoroughfare through the middle of a block giving access to the rear of lots or buildings I.e. for private parking, loading/unloading, etc... not for navigational purposes... AANNDD at one point alley was an option, but should be classified as a private street/road
So you quote the dictionary , then put your own interpretation on it after the ie. Nice. :P

The key word is access. I've never seen an alley that had any official markings denying public access. Anyone can use the alley to reach your property without threat. They are public thoroughfares like any other. Sorry.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
:D Are you a lawyer? :D
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
No kiddin'
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by LarryGilbert
For what it's worth, I'm in San Diego dealing with a very similar situation. And going by waze's idea of how different roads are handled, I think two-way parking-lot roads are the closest thing we'll get to an alley type until they start defining "Alley" in their database. waze seems to ignore parking lot roads if they are between point A and point B for you but does correctly route you if point A and/or B happen to be on a parking-lot road. So I think the solution may even be as simple as changing the designation of "Parking Lot Road" to "Alley/Parking Lot Road" in the editor, then be done with it.
LarryGilbert
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
I'm going to chime in and say parking lot road type, because alley's should not be used for navigating or as a thru-street... in some areas it's illegal, but not enforced. Literally you are using these so that you don't park on the street or primary road and trigger an alert, you could even classify it as a private road, etc...
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
Do I really have to go out and take pictures to match to road types... O M G... :roll:
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
From Merriam-Webster:

: a narrow street; especially : a thoroughfare through the middle of a block giving access to the rear of lots or buildings I.e. for private parking, loading/unloading, etc... not for navigational purposes... AANNDD at one point alley was an option, but should be classified as a private street/road
QuickOK
Send a message