Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

What am I missing?

Post by mhoppes
Waze seems like a neat concept, however, this morning I told it to "get me to work", a task which every other GPS I've ever used has done with no problem. Waze, on the other hand wanted to take me miles out of my way on roads I've never been on.... did I do something wrong?

Prior to that it said "no route found", which is bogus, as there are at least two ways to get to my office from my house.
mhoppes

POSTER_ID:691459

Send a message

Post by mhoppes
Ok,
So I guess I don't understand - if the road is there on the map, why won't Waze route you down it?
mhoppes
Send a message

Post by mhoppes
Will putting it into 'prefer chomp' mode route on roads marked 'no entrance' because they haven't been traveled yet?
mhoppes
Send a message

Post by mhoppes
RallyChris wrote:No entrance roads can be used but only as a last resort. The issue here, is that since so many no entrance roads are being found while trying to calculate the route, you will either get a timeout or "weird" routes.

unwallflower described it well. Waze has a different business model from the other navigation companies. Instead of paying big bucks to one of the major map makers then recouping that cost by charging the end user, they have decided to make their own maps. In the US they took advantage of Tiger maps which is a free government mapping source. But this source is not 100% accurate, and does not contain directionality and turn restrictions. So, waze learns the missing information by watching our driving habits, and through contributions from volunteers who go in and hand adjust the maps through cartouche (Live map page, then press update map).

Trust me... it feels really wrong at first, but with some work, it does work.
Ok that makes sense... I'll give it a try for a little bit and see how it works out. I do like seeing real-time traffic information.
mhoppes
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
No entrance roads can be used but only as a last resort. The issue here, is that since so many no entrance roads are being found while trying to calculate the route, you will either get a timeout or "weird" routes.

unwallflower described it well. Waze has a different business model from the other navigation companies. Instead of paying big bucks to one of the major map makers then recouping that cost by charging the end user, they have decided to make their own maps. In the US they took advantage of Tiger maps which is a free government mapping source. But this source is not 100% accurate, and does not contain directionality and turn restrictions. So, waze learns the missing information by watching our driving habits, and through contributions from volunteers who go in and hand adjust the maps through cartouche (Live map page, then press update map).

Trust me... it feels really wrong at first, but with some work, it does work.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by unwallflower
The waze maps are user generated, which means that if not many people have used waze in your area the maps won't start out that great. The more you drive with waze running, the more it will learn and correct the map problems. Additionally, you can edit the map yourself online.

Certain roads in your area probably haven't been driven on by someone running waze, which means they will be marked as "no entrance". Waze thinks that you can't drive down these roads for one reason or another, and will not route you through them. It took you the fastest way it knew was possible.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
To be honest, I'm not sure about the answer to that question. Maybe someone else here will know.

The roads are there, but since they are marked no entrance you can't be routed down them. However, if you drive around with waze running (just running, not navigating), it will learn that these roads can be driven down.

Alternately, you can go into Cartouche on your computer and change the directionality manually.
unwallflower
Send a message