The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to change the name of an entire road?

Post by mhoppes
I like the concept of Waze (and I'm using it), but so far I've found the interface for making changes to be very complex and clunky.

For example: There is a road near by called "Roaring Branch Road". The road is located in "Roaring Branch, PA" (easy, right?). Unfortunately, Waze has it listed as "Roaring Branch Road, McIntyre, PA" and "Roaring Branch Road, Union" and "Roaring Branch Road, other things".

First, these are the townships, so I'm not even sure why they'd show up as a city, but that aside, I thought I'd go in and fix the road (I've driven it). However, I can only change super tiny sections at a time (at this rate it will take me all day to update a 7 mile road!). Is there seriously no way to select an entire road (or larger section of it) to make a change?
mhoppes

POSTER_ID:691459

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I am not sure if it is a limitation for renaming roads, but I have selected well over 30 roads at a time to change them from one-way or no-access to 2-way with no issues. (Except for forgetting to hold down ctrl after clicking a couple dozen roads and then it deselects everything. roll:)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
mhoppes wrote: For example: There is a road near by called "Roaring Branch Road". The road is located in "Roaring Branch, PA" (easy, right?). Unfortunately, Waze has it listed as "Roaring Branch Road, McIntyre, PA" and "Roaring Branch Road, Union" and "Roaring Branch Road, other things".
Waze is correct. Check out these two official State maps.
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... heet_1.pdf
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... heet_2.pdf
Looks like Roaring Branch is in Jackson township, McIntyre township and some township in Tioga County. Don't discount the towns that Waze has listed. More often than not, I've found them to be correct, if not precisely located on the borders. You should be checking official state maps anyhow before you go changing any municipal information.
mhoppes wrote: First, these are the townships, so I'm not even sure why they'd show up as a city,
City means municipality. City, borough, township, parish, shire or whatever goes in the city line.
mhoppes wrote: but that aside, I thought I'd go in and fix the road (I've driven it). However, I can only change super tiny sections at a time (at this rate it will take me all day to update a 7 mile road!). Is there seriously no way to select an entire road (or larger section of it) to make a change?
You've got the correct instructions above, but check your work. Sometimes Waze ignores naming information when you select multiple segments to edit at one time. It's a bug.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
First make sure you have driven the entire route that you are attempting to change. This will give you permission to change the street name, city, etc... Select the starting segment, hold <ctrl> and select the end road segment. Now, click on select all roads in between. It should select the entire street or the majority of it. If it doesn't then you may have two different sections with different townships, names that are off or connectivity issues.

Hope that helped.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by sarbon15
It also seems that the maximum number of multiple roads that can be selected is 8. At least, in my experience, the maximum I've been able to select is 8.
sarbon15
Send a message
Area Manager: Orem/Provo, UT (USA)
Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant), Eclair | Acura RSX-S (2003)

*Yes, I did copy jaimevisser's signature style.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.