The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Live Map & map on phone

Post by mynetdude
The Live map on waze.com is incredibly sluggish and as I hover over the different bubbles it wants to move around... highly annoying.

map on phone is not zoomable... what???
mynetdude

POSTER_ID:721094

Send a message

Post by mynetdude
unwallflower wrote:No problems on the live map for me. Cartouche, however, is a different story entirely.

What type of phone do you have? I'm pretty sure waze has different zoom levels on EVERY phone. I know I can zoom in and out on the Android version. Maybe you just don't know how to do it? If you post the type of phone I'd be happy to tell you how.
Of course, left out the obvious information needed, my bad :(

HTC EVO 4G (Android Froyo 2.2 unrooted)

I am used to pinching to zoom like on all the other mapping apps can do.

Dunno what cartouche is, but live map... is slow... really slow
mynetdude
Send a message

Post by mynetdude
unwallflower wrote:Oh hey! We have the same phone!

Waze for Android doesn't do pinch to zoom... I'm assuming because (I think) not all Android phones have multitouch capability (don't quote me on that, I could be wrong). Actually now that I think about it, they might all support multitouch. So I don't actually know why it doesn't pinch to zoom.

Anyway, when the map is showing on your phone screen, tap the screen. The zoom in and out buttons will pop up on either side of the screen on the map after you tap. Voila!

Just checked out the livemap and it's still working okay for me.

Cartouche is the web editor for the maps. To get to it you click on "Live Map" and then click the link that says "Update Map". Although I should warn you... if the live map is being slow for you, then Cartouche is going to crawl. But editing and improving the map is SO addicting!
I understand they are not using google maps... obviously... ;) or Google could have a "cow" if we were editing their maps :P Google maps and Mapquest seem to be fast for me here on the web and on my phone.

EVO does support multi touch, hell even my Asus EeePC netbook does too (trackpad)

Where are u from if I can ask??? I am from Oregon, USA
mynetdude
Send a message

Post by mynetdude
unwallflower wrote:Yeah, I know the Evo supports multitouch. I looove my Evo. The problem is that Waze develops one version for ALL android phones (rather than separate versions for each phone). If they developed the program to utilize pinch to zoom... the people who have android phones that DON'T support multitouch would be screwed, and they wouldn't be able to zoom at all.

I just googled it and I believe that the G1 doesn't have multitouch functionality (at least not right out of the box). So it makes sense that they gave us zoom buttons rather than pinch to zoom.

Google maps and Mapquest have both been around much longer than Waze. I'm sure that, with time, Waze will run smoother and faster. If you're patient with it you'll find that it's an awesome app.

I'm from California. :mrgreen:
Yeah I tried cartouche, was not quite slower but just as bad.

kinda weird I didn't realize the zoom controls were visible the whole time, I actually like the touch to zoom rather than pinch tbh

Anyway I like what waze is going to do :) thanks for the help :)
mynetdude
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
No problems on the live map for me. Cartouche, however, is a different story entirely.

What type of phone do you have? I'm pretty sure waze has different zoom levels on EVERY phone. I know I can zoom in and out on the Android version. Maybe you just don't know how to do it? If you post the type of phone I'd be happy to tell you how.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
Oh hey! We have the same phone!

Waze for Android doesn't do pinch to zoom... I'm assuming because (I think) not all Android phones have multitouch capability (don't quote me on that, I could be wrong). Actually now that I think about it, they might all support multitouch. So I don't actually know why it doesn't pinch to zoom.

Anyway, when the map is showing on your phone screen, tap the screen. The zoom in and out buttons will pop up on either side of the screen on the map after you tap. Voila!

Just checked out the livemap and it's still working okay for me.

Cartouche is the web editor for the maps. To get to it you click on "Live Map" and then click the link that says "Update Map". Although I should warn you... if the live map is being slow for you, then Cartouche is going to crawl. But editing and improving the map is SO addicting!
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
Yeah, I know the Evo supports multitouch. I looove my Evo. The problem is that Waze develops one version for ALL android phones (rather than separate versions for each phone). If they developed the program to utilize pinch to zoom... the people who have android phones that DON'T support multitouch would be screwed, and they wouldn't be able to zoom at all.

I just googled it and I believe that the G1 doesn't have multitouch functionality (at least not right out of the box). So it makes sense that they gave us zoom buttons rather than pinch to zoom.

Google maps and Mapquest have both been around much longer than Waze. I'm sure that, with time, Waze will run smoother and faster. If you're patient with it you'll find that it's an awesome app.

I'm from California. :mrgreen:
unwallflower
Send a message