The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Where do I report people destroying maps?

Post by midwinter
Good evening Wazers -- I love the app,

Here's my problem, while driving home I noticed my GPS going crazy; "turn left, turn right, turn left-turn left-turn left..."

I checked the map and there are streets going all over, someone has clearly deliberately dragged the streets all over the map, and there's roads everywhere.

So once home, I logged in and now I feel like it's my lifetime goal to clean my streets up.
Can I find out who did this?
Can I report them somehow?
I have a sneaking suspicion who it is :!:
midwinter

POSTER_ID:734237

Send a message
Area manager of South Orange County
Please don't blame me if your car puts you in a lake

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm not sure how to report it, but one way to get on it yourself is to 1) become an Area Manager of the area (and even more), 2) fix the streets and intersections/nodes/junctions, 3) lock them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by briandb1222
When you edit the details of the road, there is a Drop-down menu named 'Level'. This is actually how you set permissions...so say, you choose level 2...and you are level 2. Only level 2 or higher can edit the road...I'd imagine if you set it at a level higher than you, you your self wouldn't be able to touch it, hehehe.

As for locking...should I lock two-way streets?
briandb1222
Send a message
Area Manager: Grand Prairie, TX
Waze phone: iPhone 3GS 4.1 iOS

Post by calvinrules
I approved all of your road deletions, but still apply to help out! I know the area you are talking about, and I don't believe it was the result of vandalism. Sometimes, there must of been an error in the uploading of the Original map. Thats why the roads around el toro rd and Sand Canyon seem like a spider web. Usually, you can tell by the similar patterns some of the mess up roads have. they seem to have a random node in the geometry of the road gravitate to a certain direction. Or( like mention above) see who was the last use to edit the road. Most, if not all, say admin which is means an error in the original upload.
calvinrules
Send a message

Post by deeggo
unwallflower wrote:This isn't a solution. Locking the streets doesn't prevent others from editing them...
It is indeed. Locking a street prevents the server from adjusting the directionality based on GPS-tracks and prevents users lower in rank from editing them.

As said by others, see who was the last person that edited the roads by looking into the road properties.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
RallyChris wrote:Just to make sure wrong information is not passed. Per Waze development. Locking segments does not affect who can edit a segment.
I'm sorry. Both Waze support and the wiki do not agree with you. :!:
deeggo
Send a message
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
deeggo wrote:
RallyChris wrote:Just to make sure wrong information is not passed. Per Waze development. Locking segments does not affect who can edit a segment.
I'm sorry. Both Waze support and the wiki do not agree with you. :!:
Okay, RallyChris has been right. I've asked support directly about the confusing information there is on the forum about this topic. Dror´s reaction is that locking does not prevent users of lower rank from editing it. Earlier information about this was wrong, therefore wrong information about this in my first link has been removed, to prevent confusion.

So: locking prevents the server from making automatic adjustments based on GPS tracks, that's it.
deeggo
Send a message

Post by FTBoomer
Also, if you select a road then go into the details for that road, it should show who the last person was to make a change. You could the report that person.
FTBoomer
Send a message
https://www.ssbn640.com/neowinsig.jpg
Area Manager - Florida
iPhone 4

Post by FTBoomer
midwinter wrote:Thank you both for your input -- I'm in the progress of trying to clean it up but of course, my removal of streets need to be reviewed :|

How do I apply to become an area manager?

Email alpha@waze.com and include a permalink of the area.
FTBoomer
Send a message
https://www.ssbn640.com/neowinsig.jpg
Area Manager - Florida
iPhone 4

Post by khaytsus
briandb1222 wrote:When you edit the details of the road, there is a Drop-down menu named 'Level'. This is actually how you set permissions...so say, you choose level 2...and you are level 2. Only level 2 or higher can edit the road...I'd imagine if you set it at a level higher than you, you your self wouldn't be able to touch it, hehehe.

As for locking...should I lock two-way streets?
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooboy.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif