The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Naming of State Routes?

Post by unwallflower
I've read the wiki article, but there is no part detailing how to name state routes.

I get that interstates are supposed to be named "I- #", and US highways are supposed to be named "US Hwy #", but what about state routes?

For example, I'm working on State Route 78 right now. It's commonly referred to as SR- 78. So would I name it SR- 78? Right now it's labeled as "Hwy 78".

So what do you guys do for your state routes? I'm trying to maintain some continuity here.

(and while we're on the topic, what road type to you normally designate them as? Right now it's designated as a freeway, but I'm wondering if major highway might be more appropriate... but at the same time, it's a divided highway with NO traffic lights. So maybe it should stay a freeway.)
unwallflower

POSTER_ID:319795

Send a message

Post by sketch
We've been using "US Hwy xx" simply because that's what we were given and that's what the live map parses as shields. I'd love to get the Live Map to parse "US- xx" (or even "US-xx", not sure why interstates have the space), but ~a year of suggesting this hasn't led to anything.

I suppose "US-98 E / Emerald Coast Pkwy" isn't so bad. Don't be so quick to remove spaces, though: the client doesn't seem to consider "/" as breaking and wouldn't treat it too nicely if it didn't fit entirely on the screen. From experience, I recommend always including spaces around slashes. Also, be sure to keep the space between the highway number and the travel direction, since this allows the server to recognise it as the same street (specifically, when using the "Opposite Direction" report feature).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Wait, does it? I've always gotten the badge for "State Rte 182" and such.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm tempted to name all mine "LA-xx" since that's more immediately useful and since the devs can make that work anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ttownfeen
I've been using "State Rte #" simply because that was what was already being used in my area when I got here. I would like to know what the uniform policy is.
ttownfeen
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
Thanks, I'm going to leave them as a freeway... you confirmed my gut instinct there.

I think that "SR- ##" or "CA- ##" (clearly change the state accordingly on the latter) would be the best options... I know the reason we do "I- #" for interstates is so interstate shields can be shown on the map. Maybe eventually waze will add support for the state route shields... which would mean the SR- # or CA- # naming conventions would work best.

I'm going to sit on this one and hope a few more people reply before I change anything. I think that once we agree on something it should be added to the wiki to ensure continuity.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
anthyz wrote:If you use the "State Hwy #" format then the live map will show a generic shield for the highway when zoomed out.

Unwallflower, take a look at SR 94 which I changed to the above format as compared to SR 56 which has four different non-standard primary names (some says it's an interstate and some say it's a state route). It was a bit of a pain because I kept previous names as alternate names and only did mass segment edits when they all had the same city and level.

The wiki says not to change things because they will eventually have some kind of solution for multiple-named highways, but I wanted to see the shield. :-)
Well I'm working on SR 78 right now, which doesn't have multiple names... that's why I'm okay with changing it right now.

SR 56 is a TOTAL mess... I'm really not sure how it got named an interstate in most places because it is most definitely NOT an interstate. I've kind of been leaving that one alone in hopes that they will have a fix for the alternative names problem, because it really need to be known that it is both SR 56 and Ted Williams.

Looks like "State Hwy #" is definitely the way to go because of the shield displays. Thanks for the information, I didn't know about that! I do hope they will eventually allow us to name things "SR- #", just because it's more accurate... but for now I'll stick with State Hwy.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I've been using "State Hwy #" as that was what some roads of the base map here already had. I've also seen people use "State Route #" and "State Road #" and of course just "Hwy #".

An interesting fact on TN highways (taken from Wikipedia): Note 1: The Tennessee Department of Transportation maintains these routes under the "State Highways" title of state law, but designates them as "state routes".

I have also seen debate over using something like "SR- #" or using the state abbreviation so in Tennessee it would be "TN- #".

So I haven't answered your question but I've reinforced that we need direction :)

As far as road classification, use what the road physically represents without worrying about what type of road it is called. If it is a limited access highway (on and off ramps and no grade crossings), then it is a freeway even if it isn't an interstate.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
I personally like the "SR- #" format because the state can be determined by the state field applied to the segment....

... unless someone knows of a situation where one state's highway runs through another state that is. Like maybe a road that hugs a border.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
I hardly spend any time in the Live Map -- it is usually just Cartouche or the client for me -- so I had basically forgotten that the State Highways got shields.

(It would be nice if the client had shields. Is there a UserVoice item for that yet?)
WeeeZer14
Send a message